Himalayan balsam in a border?

(6 Posts)
lozster Sun 03-Jul-16 18:26:30

My neighbour has four plants in a shared lawn and another three of the same type in a side border at the rear if her house - I know this as I water her garden when she is away. At first

lozster Sun 03-Jul-16 18:29:33

... Sorry... At first I thought they were sunflowers but then they grew super fast. I mentioned this to my DH and he commented that he had spoken to the neighbour and they are Himalayan balsam. I recall two team building volunteer days from work spent out at a nature reserve 'balsam bashing'. Please tell me there is some domestic harmless version?sad

DoreenLethal Sun 03-Jul-16 18:34:28

Not that I know of - it is an invasive weed as you know and pings it's seeds out at a violent speed and it very hard to get rid of. We had great fun last summer pinging them far and wide when we discovered some in Matlock.

MidnightVelvetthe5th Sun 03-Jul-16 18:38:23

I have some in my garden border, they are really easy & satisfying to pull up smile I tried getting rid of it all this spring by digging up the grass & border for a vegetable plot but they are still appearing. The bees love it though.

If you keep on top of it then I find it OK to just pull up stalks as & when really.

lozster Sun 03-Jul-16 19:20:18

But did anyone actually choose to have this? Now the neighbourhood is going to be infested!

lozster Sun 03-Jul-16 19:22:20

Sorry - I should have been clear that she planted them out in the borders, they didn't just pop up. If fact, she dug a fresh bed especially for the one out front.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now