Erigeron and daffodils

(3 Posts)
LifeIsGoodish Sat 02-Jul-16 20:00:37

I have a 'border' of daffs growing under a little lawn. They're naturalised and look gorgeous in the spring. Ultimately, I want to get rid of the lawn and replace it with shrubs and flowers. But I'm reluctant to get rid of the daffs. If I strip the turf off them and replace it with a bit of topsoil and compost, could I plant erigerons over the daffodils?

I envisage the daffs growing up through the Erigeron foliage, then being trimmed back about the time the Erigeron flowered. I want the low, squat, ground-cover Erigeron.

What do you think - would this work?

PurpleWithRed Sun 03-Jul-16 09:13:31

You could, but if you mean Erigeron karvinskianus it likes very sandy dry soil - I can't get it established in my garden at all but it flourishes in the cracks in our paving and parking spaces.

LifeIsGoodish Sun 03-Jul-16 12:31:50

I was thinking about low-growing purple ones - glaucus. The books talk about them being relatively short-lived, and needing to be lifted and divided every few years if you want them to last, but round here they seem to act as good, hardy ground-cover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now