Bastard weeds, bastard slugs

(5 Posts)
NickyEds Fri 01-Jul-16 11:26:10

Sorry for the language but I'm so pissed off! I thought I'd have a bit of a go at some gardening this year(only our second s year with a garden and last year I was too pregnant). The garden is a rockery, a small flagged area, a lawn with nice beds, a tree, another paved area and a long stretch of land running the length of the house with big gravel type rocks on it. I spent hours weeding! Everything hurt the next day but I'd cleared the side if the house, rockery and the two paved area of weeds and the beds looked loads neater. Two weeks later they're all back! Only stronger! Horrid bloody sticky weed that give me a rash where it sticks, this other massive thing with jaggy leaves.....Are chemicals the answer? Can anyone recommend any? I've got a toddler and a 1 year old so need something safe but also really bloody strong.

Slugs. I planted up three trough things with salad leaves, some pots of herbs, three different types of peppers, some radish, some cha rd and some courgettes. The bastard slugs have eaten two of the pepper plants completely. There are holes in the courgette plants where they ' ve been at them. I caught one at it last night, pinching my parsley so I murdered it by throwing it into the road (and I don't even care). My mother used to put little blue/green pellets down, I'm guessing that these are an environmental nightmare?? Any tips to completely eradicate them whilst I still have some plants left?

Gardening is hard!

Geevis Fri 01-Jul-16 19:17:08

Hahaha! That really made me laugh. We've got the same problem. You can get eco and child safety weedkiller and slug pellets. We use the weed killer on the paths not sure if you can put it near plant though because it'll probably kill them too. You might just have to do the weeding. The slug pellets really work, we planted 10 sunflowers only two escaped the snail and slug invasion. Since then the pellets have kept them at bay. Good luck! I can't remember what the products are called but just Google child safe weedkiller etc. There are loads.

gingeroots Sat 02-Jul-16 17:57:54

Oh that's so depressing ,I feel for you ,I really do .

I'm absolutely a novice but 2 things I've learned

it makes a difference when you weed - eg earlier in the season ,after rain when the ground is wet

mulch helps keep the weeds down ,I buy cheap bags of wood chip and pour it on

I think if you worked so hard you're not the type to be defeated .Keep going and it will get easier .

Maybe post a pic of the weed that is causing the rash ? It can help to know which weed you're dealing with I think .Some are more stubborn than others .

I hope someone more helpful and encouraging comes along .

NickyEds Sat 02-Jul-16 21:45:04

Thank you both. Yes it's very depressing. The area at the side of the house has a plastic membrane (or so the very green fingered land lady) and the is covered in rocks. Rocks. The bastard weeds can move rocks.

I've never heard that about when to weed. I did it when it was sunny before it rained so I'm guessing I just made room for the hardy ones?

I'm still a bit nervous about using the pellets and weedkiller because much as I want the death of all the weeds and slugs I've grown very fond of the kids and the boy in particular will eat anything. I've heard beer does something to slugs? Or egg shells? I need to find out because I'll be damned if I'm getting them pissed as well as feeding them. Do you just put the pellets on the soil of the pots or do you sprinkle them around the pots too?

I won't be beaten. We will be having some salad leaves.

traviata Sat 02-Jul-16 22:55:15

Hi OP, have a look at this thread about battling the slugs .

Beer attracts them so they drown. Eggshells, coffee grounds, wool, copper, are all things they allegedly do not like to crawl over. Nematodes are microscopic parasites that live in the ground until they find a tasty slug to eat.

If your boy will eat anything, do not use slug pellets.

To keep weeds away - like pp said, put a mulch down. I mean something that you put on top of the soil which stops weeds growing, but which little by little breaks down and benefits the soil. Typical examples; composted bark, manure, tiny chopped straw ("strulch'), or gravel, grit.

ideally encourage your plants to grow big enough and close enough together so there are no gaps, then you won't get many weeds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now