Green fingered types.....what's this?

(11 Posts)
PaulineFowlersGrowler Tue 28-Jun-16 09:55:54

Oh wise plant people........I bought a mixed hanging basket and this plant has completely taken over. Any ideas what it is? It has lots of tiny buds but no flowers yet. Thanks!

ppeatfruit Tue 28-Jun-16 13:09:41

Sorry it's really difficult to see properly, could you post a nearer pic.? It LOOKs to me like a weed that's taking over.

PaulineFowlersGrowler Tue 28-Jun-16 13:23:31

Any better ppeatfruit? It's difficult to photograph because it's wild and straggly

ppeatfruit Tue 28-Jun-16 14:37:38

Yes thanks grin It could be a clematis of some sort ,it certainly wants to climb somewhere!! IIWY I'd remove it quickly and bin it ( or compost after drying out properly). Because I've got one similar that WILL NOT stop spreading round my garden.!!! I left it for a year after we moved here to see what it did and I wish I hadn't!!

ppeatfruit Tue 28-Jun-16 14:38:15

Don't let it flower whatever you do !!!!

Gatekeeper Wed 29-Jun-16 08:05:11

I am peering shortsightedly at the photo...looks possibly like chickweed

PaulineFowlersGrowler Wed 29-Jun-16 12:12:13

ding ding ding we have winner! Thanks gatekeeper. grin

ppeatfruit Wed 29-Jun-16 12:22:32

Is it? It doesn't have flowers like that though I don't think, it does have leaves like it.

PaulineFowlersGrowler Wed 29-Jun-16 13:06:33

Haha ppeatfruit, I googled it and it looks like the closest thing I've found so far. Is it a weed? I still haven't dug it out yet, I feel guilty, it's so bloody tenacious

ppeatfruit Wed 29-Jun-16 13:30:31

Yes it's a weed, it will spread if you let it! Though I do wonder what a chickweed is doing in a shop bought hanging basket, either way I'd dig it out!

ppeatfruit Fri 01-Jul-16 10:00:28

Chickweed has little daisy like flowers and it doesn't climb. It does resemble comfrey slightly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now