Rose that smells like a Rose

(21 Posts)
PourTheWine Mon 27-Jun-16 11:45:10

I am desperate to plant some roses in my garden that actually smell like roses!

My Nan had a garden full of them and she cut them and put them everywhere in her house - and her house used to smell beautiful in the summer. Every time I smell a beautiful rose it reminds me of her so I would love to know of some 'varieties' that would tick this box.

I'm not a natural gardener at all so any hints and tips etc on the roses would also be great. X

Kwirrell Mon 27-Jun-16 17:07:26

Princess Anne has a lovely perfume

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 27-Jun-16 17:19:02

i don't suppose this would help for the house, but dog roses smell amazing...i have some in the garden and love to sit out there and sniff this time of year, the bees also love the pink flowers.

Mumstudentbum Mon 27-Jun-16 18:21:54

I have Queen of sweeden in my garden. They are quite hardy and don't mind poor soil. They have beautiful pink flowers and smell divine x

Gardencentregroupie Mon 27-Jun-16 18:25:08

My Gertrude Jekyll smells amazing

JT05 Mon 27-Jun-16 18:26:50

If you have the room, a rambling rose, Francis E Lester from David Austin has masses of fantastic smelling blooms.

PourTheWine Mon 27-Jun-16 22:42:44

Oooh thank you everyone for your advice! I shall be off to the garden centre pronto!

Love a beautiful smelling rose and can't wait to have one that I can sit and sniff and remind me of my nan! I find I get quite a lot of dodgy looks when I spend time sniffing other people's roses blush

Gatekeeper Wed 29-Jun-16 08:12:05

I'm a rose sniffer as well to the embarrassment of my dd (14) grin. I love them and am increasing them by the year but only have ramblers and climbers . Am planning putting one next to front door so want one as fragrant as possible

I love dog roses as well ...'God's roses' for their perfect simplicity- their smell and the lovely hips later on

Gatekeeper Wed 29-Jun-16 08:15:39

ohh..I have just looked at the Queen of Sweden rose on David Austins site..it is beautiful...love Gertrude Jekyll as well

funnyperson Wed 29-Jun-16 11:55:16

Munstead Wood
Gertrude Jekyll
Double delight
Hot chocolate
New Dawn
Rosa bleu
Nuits de young

Although David Austin says the following are scented, they dont appear to waft their perfume into the air in our garden
generous gardener
gentle hermione
queen of sweden
teasing georgia

though they are very pretty

bilbodog Wed 29-Jun-16 12:44:14

Look at david austin roses - their modern varieties are all based on the old roses. Some smell more than others - you can ring them and ask firca catalogue - then you will be spoilt for choice.

gobbin Wed 29-Jun-16 22:24:26

I have had trouble getting a rose that smells like an old 1970s tea rose. It's a scent that is clearly out of fashion!

However, I have planted the following over the last few months:

St Swithun - very pale pink, delicate myrrh scent, stronger at some times than others.

Lady Emma Hamilton - orange/pink with dark foliage - she's a stunner with a very strong scent.

Margaret Merrill - luminous true white - strong scent.

funnyperson Thu 30-Jun-16 07:26:36

i'm interested in the Queen of Sweden being scented because it is such a lovely rose. I wonder if some soils lead to more scented roses

Gatekeeper Thu 30-Jun-16 12:29:42

funny I wonder- I planted a New Dawn round an arch and it has little to no smell sad

PourTheWine Thu 30-Jun-16 13:05:39

I live in Suffolk and 'apparently' (im no expert - we have incredibly salty soil ?!?!

Should this away me towards one type of rose from another or do you think any of those named should be ok?

funnyperson Thu 30-Jun-16 16:57:03

gatekeeper thats interesting because my New Dawn Rose under the oak tree smells divine

NicknameUsed Thu 30-Jun-16 16:58:59

Sweet Juliet is gorgeous. We had three in our last garden.

funnyperson Thu 30-Jun-16 17:51:09

salty=acid I think
I read it up and the way to improve the saltiness is to improve the drainage by adding organic matter
rugosa roses are apparently more salt tolerant

PourTheWine Fri 01-Jul-16 06:51:14

Perfect - shall look into that

GertrudeSmellsDivine Fri 01-Jul-16 06:59:14

<twirls>
Meeeee grin
Though I did put a tea rose type in last year and it's amazing though quite subtle. I'll fond the variety after work and post it.

GertrudeSmellsDivine Fri 01-Jul-16 07:24:17

It's Chandos Beauty but it seems more susceptible to black spot than the others in the garden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now