Inexpensive way to create hedging or wind/rubbish break

(7 Posts)
Jetcatisback Fri 24-Jun-16 12:34:21

I am finally getting round to sorting my front garden, and think I will be going for a cottage garden type look. It's north facing, and on the end of a run, so rubbish tends to blow in really easily through the metal railing fence that is there (I cant replace this).

Therefore, I am looking at planting some plants/shrubs that will act both as a privacy hedge (can't grow more than 3ft) and a wind break. Trouble is, all the hedging I have looked at is going to be really expensive. Is there a cheaper way? Anything I can grow from seed? Garden is about 10ft long by 20ft across. Many thanks in advance flowers

bombayflambe Fri 24-Jun-16 12:41:44

cuttings?
privet cuttings

Gatekeeper Fri 24-Jun-16 12:42:04

if you want a hedge then bare rooted ones are by far the cheapest but you won't be able to buy any until November time so they can be planted when dormant

you can get ones for about 50p (younger plants) to around 2.50 ish each.

www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatalog/bare_root_hedging_range.html

Gatekeeper Fri 24-Jun-16 12:45:59

what about attaching a rush or brushwood screen to the fence?

www.primrose.co.uk/garden-screening-c-318.html?src=scrn_lhc

Jetcatisback Fri 24-Jun-16 15:15:49

Thanks Gate, im not sure that i want an actual hedge in the traditional sense, so shrubs plus screening is what im thinking - just cant figure out how to keep costs down.

JT05 Fri 24-Jun-16 17:56:48

Low growing Berberis could be good. It comes in red and green leaved varieties. Or Hebes, they are quite dense, low growing and have a variety of colour and flowers.

JT05 Fri 24-Jun-16 17:59:30

Just seen the cost element. Do your friends have anything that can be split?

At the end of summer garden centres often have left overs that they sell off cheap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now