Nice cat and nice garden - possible together?

(12 Posts)
fendr Fri 10-Jun-16 12:36:04

Hello! I've posted this in the Litter Tray too and chat accidentally but basically, we rescued a 10 year old cat a few months ago when we moved house. I now want to start sorting the garden out over the summer.

It took a good week or so to get the cat to wee/poo outdoors but he's very good now and stopped pissing in the shower

I've managed to somehow train him to use a specific spot in the garden, don't ask me how but he will not go anywhere else. I like it because I'd rather him do it in our garden than next door, however I'm now not sure what to do with the space where he goes. We have concrete tiles down, then two steps up to a grass area. Either side of the steps on concrete level is a bordered off soiled area for plants. I want to plant some lovely flowers in there, but he uses a small area on the end of the bordered off bit to do his business. He does bury it immaculately so you'd never know, but surely planting anything there will be pointless? Is there anything I can do so it doesn't just look like I've run out of flowers? grin

MyKingdomForBrie Fri 10-Jun-16 12:39:52

Grow something with a fringe that spreads over that bit? Although that would rather ruin his toilet..

Plant something wth a tall thin centre stem so it covers the ground but he can go in underneath?

<not expert gardener can you tell>

fendr Fri 10-Jun-16 12:48:04

Tall and thin could work! I'd like to keep his toilet accessible because next door's garden is pristine and I couldn't bear the thought of them going out and finding cat poo in it. Although they are grateful we now have a cat because he kills the rabbits that constantly eat their flowers. They can't have it both ways!

Oldraver Fri 10-Jun-16 12:53:38

My cat has trained himself (dead chuffed, as generally he is a bit of a dim cat) to do his business in one place. Its right in front of the bamboo where I wanted to plant but I'm giving that area over to him, as keeping it in one place will be better.

I did put up a spare low wooden fence as a sort of modesty screen but he kicked the fucker over....

I'm looking for ideas as well but may just leave it as I don't want to put him off or restrict access with plants to his area.

I have made sure the soil is very fine the blummin bets tilled in the garden and I know cats can be fickle so dont want to mes with the area too much

fendr Fri 10-Jun-16 12:58:14

I'm cracking up at a 'modesty screen'. I had to put the litter tray in a box on its side in the garden to get him to start going out there. The things we do!
I'm the same though, I don't want to mess with it too much incase he gets the arse and starts pissing in the shower again!

Oldraver Fri 10-Jun-16 13:03:48

Ernie has only been going out for two months and almost immediately started 'going' outside. We did have to odd mishap in the sandpit.. and when I tilled a larger area next to his bampoo spot and he thought all his Christmas's had come at once...he was soon shown the error of his ways and he went back to the bampoo... I'm sure he will thwart me at some point

Oldraver Fri 10-Jun-16 13:06:22

Oh he's also got a pot of cat grass which he half heartedly sniffed..it grows very quickly and I had thought of edging his spot with this...though not sure if I should mix his nibbles/poo area. Though I dont think cats are as fussy as us.

MyKingdomForBrie Fri 10-Jun-16 13:08:50

bampoo how apt!!!

fendr Fri 10-Jun-16 13:30:05

What is cat grass?!?

Oldraver Fri 10-Jun-16 19:16:27

Its grass for cats grin..not sure how different it is.

I picked up a packet of seeds form the supermarket (off one of the stands they have of seeds). It grows very quickly and is a lot larger bladed than normal grass.

Ernie was not impressed, but DS loved growing the seeds

shovetheholly Fri 10-Jun-16 19:28:37

You can plant and have a cat - I live in an area of extremely high cat density, and there's always one or two in the garden. And I have an old fella myself. They like to go where there's nice loose soil, but they don't mind plants in close proximity at all. I find they do a bit of weeding for me in the spaces between (this can be annoying if I am trying to grow stuff from seed grin )

Avoid lilies, and especially day lilies (hemerocallis) - they are extremely toxic to cats and even small amounts of pollen can cause huge health issues.

Oldraver Fri 10-Jun-16 21:35:43

I've just this minute come inside after making new 'houses' for my Hemerocallis...all five of them..we caught Ernie trying to eat them a month ago

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now