Patio plants/trees to give privacy?

(7 Posts)
kitkat321 Mon 06-Jun-16 13:16:29

Hi - looking for some potted patio plants with a decent amount of height/thickness to give us a bit of privacy?

We've planted some clematic and some leylandi in other parts of the garden when it's not a shared fence but given this is a shared fence I don't want anything that's going to attach itself to the fence.

I have just spend a fair bit on bamboo screening but it doesn't look particularly nice so looking for other options.

Seen some suggestions of bamboo plants? Is there anything else that will grow quickly i.e. this summer and give us a bit of privacy from our neighbours.

PurpleWithRed Mon 06-Jun-16 13:31:54

if you grow bamboo prepare for it to take over your garden unless you are very very very careful to get a clumping form not a creeping form. Why are you worried about attaching stuff to the fence? there are clematis that you cut back to ground level every year, they would be lovely. Climbing nasturtiums might do too.

Titsywoo Mon 06-Jun-16 13:51:39

Bamboo is a nightmare - don't go there!

You can buy screens like this that will give instant privacy.

kitkat321 Mon 06-Jun-16 13:51:59

Hi - my thinking is that as it's a shared fence, the neighbours might not appreciate their side of the fence being covered in plants so rather than deal with the hassle, I thought it easier just to get some nice potted trees that do the job.

MadSprocker Mon 06-Jun-16 14:27:54

You can put bamboo in some attractive pots and line them up along the fence. My mum does this and it works really well, rather than planting in the ground. I have a fennel plant that is growing really quickly and is very attractive with it's feathery leaves.

LuckySantangelo1 Mon 06-Jun-16 14:30:45

I have bamboo as a screening plant. It's brilliant. Grows super quick, evergreen. Not too expensive either.

kitkat321 Mon 06-Jun-16 15:01:38

Thanks - like the look of the fennel plant too.

How invasive would the clematis be on their side (we'd obvously attach some mesh trellis).

Also, sorry for the dumb question, but as this is on the patio, would we need to keep the clematis potted and would they work well in planters?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now