Another what is this..?

(18 Posts)
Tinkerisdead Sat 04-Jun-16 08:39:37

Sorry I've tried plant identifiers etc but its not giving it to me and I know you guys are hot on these threads.

Is this a minature clematis? A jasmine? I saw it at the zoo, it was a large shrub and so pretty I'd love one! Can anyone tell me what it is please?

Tinkerisdead Sat 04-Jun-16 08:40:39

Sorry I've tried plant identifiers etc but its not giving it to me and I know you guys are hot on these threads.

Is this a minature clematis? A jasmine? I saw it at the zoo, it was a large shrub and so pretty I'd love one! Can anyone tell me what it is please?

Tinkerisdead Sat 04-Jun-16 08:41:07

Sorry for the double post first time ive ever attached pics blush

shovetheholly Sat 04-Jun-16 08:41:07

Solanum crispum I think!

Tinkerisdead Sat 04-Jun-16 08:43:04

Omg shove ive lurked on threads before and seen you answer, but christ you were instant there!!! So impressed! Thankyou

mimiasovitch Sat 04-Jun-16 08:43:37

Looks like a potato tree, solanum crispum here. Very pretty, but toxic.

mimiasovitch Sat 04-Jun-16 08:44:53

Ooo - looks like I was right! And also very slow at typing.

Tinkerisdead Sat 04-Jun-16 08:55:26

Buggar about toxic. I'll need to ponder that then.

shovetheholly Sat 04-Jun-16 18:01:54

grin - I just saw it and knew it because I have one! In fact, I was so fast, I forgot to add - Aldi have these in really often and they are less than £2. They also have clematis and jasmine if you're looking for an alternative!

shovetheholly Sat 04-Jun-16 18:02:35

I should add - I am very slow and bad about identifying plants I don't know. The umbellifers in particular. There is a lot of harrumphing and turning of book pages in frustration!!

NanTheWiser Sat 04-Jun-16 18:06:57

Yep, solanum crispum. There are many garden plants that are toxic - Delphiniums, and daffodils to name two - but that's not a reason to avoid them just don't EAT them! And if you have children, insist that they don't put garden plants in their mouths.

NaiceVillageOfTheDammed Sat 04-Jun-16 18:12:33

They also come in white.

shovetheholly Sat 04-Jun-16 18:13:28

I agree nan. Obviously, some common sense needs to be exercised - no-one would suggest growing giant hogweed or anything - but teaching kids that nature can be lethal is probably the most important thing because the moment you step outside your garden, you're in a world where you can't control what is growing. You hear these awful incidents where children have accidents on camping trips because they've mistaken hemlock for parsnips or something. I have fears that we're not developing a wholesome respect in kids for the incredible potency of some plants - both as potential cures for disease and as potential toxins. Once that's explained, most children I've encountered are actually very cautious and sensible - the idea of dying a horrible death doesn't appeal to most young uns!!

mimiasovitch Sun 05-Jun-16 15:52:50

I'm just very aware of toxicity at the moment, as much of time seems to be spent removing leaves/flowers/slugs from the puppy's mouth. Even at 10 weeks she is very aware of the plants I especially don't want her to touch.

shovetheholly Mon 06-Jun-16 09:28:23

Oh, that sounds like a lot of vigilance mimia! I bet she makes up for it with cuteness, though.

mimiasovitch Mon 06-Jun-16 12:26:57

Oh yes. She looked absolutely adorable with a new clematis in her mouth, root ball bouncing away as she ran. It probably wouldn't have done well in that spot anyway grin

shovetheholly Mon 06-Jun-16 12:28:58

grin grin grin That made me laugh out loud. Oh your poor climbers!! It'll all be worth it as she grows up, though. Maybe you can rent her out as a doggy garden designer?!

mimiasovitch Mon 06-Jun-16 13:52:49

She's a big fan of the deconstructed look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now