Growing strawberries and tomatoes

(5 Posts)
SpaghettiMeatballs Fri 03-Jun-16 19:50:16

The DCs and I put some strawberry and tomato plants in pots yesterday. They are currently on the very sunny patio.

We haven't grown fruit before and now I'm wondering if they'd prefer to be kept in our greenhouse???

Can anyone advise please?

everywhichway Fri 03-Jun-16 20:39:52

If you grow strawberries outside you'll need to protect them from the birds, who'll love them as much as you do and will get there first! Which you'll probably need to put nets or something similar over them. I think they taste better grown outside though. Ditto tomatoes but they often suffer from blight outside before the season is out, for which reason they tend to be grown in greenhouses more usually.

bookbook Fri 03-Jun-16 21:20:35

It depends on whereabouts you are for tomatoes, and which variety. Some are fine outside in the south, some need a greenhouse, particularly further north.
Strawberries will be fine on the patio wherever you are. But yes, you will need to stop blackbirds eating them smile

SpaghettiMeatballs Fri 03-Jun-16 22:50:49

Perhaps I should pop them in the greenhouse. We have a lot of birds in the garden.

Mind you, the field mice have been known to get in the greenhouse and chew the seed packets. I'm willing to bet they will like my strawberries and tomatoes too. angry

CatherineDeB Sat 04-Jun-16 09:10:10

Strawberries and tomatoes are my favourite crops! Mine are outside, tomatoes against a south facing wall and strawberries in raised beds. I do net them.

I am in the North.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now