Keep or pull out?

(10 Posts)
Moreisnnogedag Thu 02-Jun-16 17:38:27

I have no idea what this is. I'm sorting out the garden after moving in 18 months ago and am in a slash and burn frame of mind. Dh says I should at least check before destroying it.

Also how hard can you prune a japonica and it survive??

Liara Thu 02-Jun-16 20:37:20

Looks like it's about to flower. Do you remember what the flowers are like? Looks to me like it could be a weigela, but not too sure from those photos.

Moreisnnogedag Thu 02-Jun-16 20:40:44

Unfortunately not. I had just had a baby last summer and it passed all in a bit of a blur! Might wait it out - have googled weigela and it's quite pretty smile

Liara Thu 02-Jun-16 20:42:07

I'd give it this year and see. It looks like quite a healthy shrub, whatever it is, and it would be a shame to get rid of it before you find out what it actually is.

JT05 Thu 02-Jun-16 21:29:30

Looks a bit like Philadephus, if it has white, sweet smelling flowers.

Re pruning Keria Japonika ( yellow) or quince japonica ( pink )? Both can be pruned cutting out this years flowering shoots.

Moreisnnogedag Fri 03-Jun-16 00:22:34

It's a quince japonica. It's become quite unruly and I've had to prune some of it back now as it was blocking the way.

I've decided to tackle the garden in bits. The first bed is by the house so am doing that one. It has a apple tree, the japonica, mystery bush, another mystery bush (which I think may have been a dicentra but now am not sure) and a mystery tree.

I'm not from this country and its all a bit of a trial and error 😄

funnyperson Fri 03-Jun-16 04:12:45

It is quite a good time to lightly prune the japonica into a shape. I've just done mine because it had finished flowering and was putting out new shoots. If you hard prune it now you will loose all the fruits this year but you will probably get better flowers and fruit next year

Peasandsweetcorn Fri 03-Jun-16 08:22:48

A dicentra isn't a bush but a perennial. There would have been no sign of it over winter, leaves started pushing through in early March (on mine at least) and it is now in full flower and has been for a could of weeks. My garden has its own micro climate though being at least 10 days behind the gardens at the other end of the road and 3 weeks behind those on the main road about 150 yards away. Having said that, whilst yours may have passed it's peak, I'd be surprised if there were no flowers left at all.

MadSprocker Fri 03-Jun-16 09:58:47

I just bought a fab book about pruning, as I invariably prune at least one thing in my garden at the wrong time of year. It looks huge in the photo, but is just bigger than my hand.

Moreisnnogedag Sun 05-Jun-16 13:42:13

Oh that looks quite good. I definitely need it!

Hmm I have got little dicentra then but the other bush has now then been relegated back to mystery status 😀

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now