Is your watering can a drip or a treasure?

(16 Posts)
Greengagesummer Sat 28-May-16 22:09:52

Please recommend me your wonderful watering cans!

I need a good watering can that is around 9l with a rose that doesn't keep falling off and will last me a good long while.

I'm not very bothered about what it's made of, so long as it will keep on working.

Thank you

bookbook Sat 28-May-16 22:28:00

I have this one - 7l , but that is quite heavy enough for me www.haws.co.uk/products/plastic_cans_for_outdoors/7litre_deluxe_can.html

CatherineDeB Sat 28-May-16 22:29:35

Treasure - 20 years old - old fashioned galvanised finish.

www.haws.co.uk/products/metal_cans_for_outdoors/8litre_slimcan.html

Greengagesummer Sat 28-May-16 22:40:45

Brilliant - thank you both. Hadn't thought that it might be too heavy. I was going on around 9l because feed always seems to be a capful in 9l, but I can always adjust feed.

bookbook Sat 28-May-16 22:43:51

I notice we both have Haws! Mine is only about 5 years old - a youngster obviously smile

Woopsiedaisy Sat 28-May-16 22:47:50

Another vote for Haws.

I have two, both metal and they are really well made.

Greengagesummer Sat 28-May-16 22:54:10

smile I actually have a Haws too, but it's titchy, 0.7l for indoors! I love it though, so should probably get a big metal Haws.

shovetheholly Sun 29-May-16 09:13:33

Yep, Haws. I have this 8 litre one, and it's brilliant. My water is the other end of the garden from the greenhouse, so a large capacity one is useful for me:

www.haws.co.uk/products/metal_cans_for_outdoors/8litre_slimcan.html

bookbook Sun 29-May-16 14:11:11

shove - I set up harvesting water from my greenhouse - saves carrying . I have a slimline waterbutt hidden around the back - DH set the guttering the other way around , so it drains to the back, away from the door.
Having said that - its perfect for my DGS now he knows how to turn the tap on to fill his watering can......

shovetheholly Sun 29-May-16 23:09:36

I have a water butt too, but it is quite a small one and gets emptied too quickly this time of year when there are loads of thirsty seedlings!. Wish I could fit a bigger one as rainwater is way better than tap (as well as being greener). But the end of my garden is tight for space! Am hoping I can maybe fit another one to my house, as it's crazy to be using cleaned water in a place with such abundant rainfall!

bookbook Mon 30-May-16 22:54:19

<slaps her own wrist> - you were bound to have shove ! sorry.....smile mine is 100L slimline

shovetheholly Tue 31-May-16 07:45:58

Yes, I think that's what I've got too, rigged to my greenhouse courtesy of Aldi!! I find I get through it with the seedlings this time of year... I could really use a second one, but downpipes from my house are by the front door (no space due to adjacent window) and at the side (no space due to a ridiculously narrow path from back to front). So I think I need to get a bit more imaginative about to put one! There might be space for an ultraslimline one fed off the shed - I need to get a tape measure out!

bookbook Tue 31-May-16 08:23:56

could you have one of those that taps into a downpipe, then gravity feed via a pipe into a bigger one where you have space ?- is the slope you are on going in the right direction for that?

shovetheholly Tue 31-May-16 08:32:17

YES! You know what book - that might work!! The slope is downwards away from the house and it's quite steep in the first instance. I wonder if I could hide one in plain sight??!

bookbook Tue 31-May-16 18:15:22

You need a row of these shove artfully placed smile
www.greenfingers.com/product.asp?dept_id=3036&pf_id=LS6010DSorry OP to derail your thread

bookbook Tue 31-May-16 18:15:59

pah!
www.greenfingers.com/product.asp?dept_id=3036&pf_id=LS6010D

Sorry OP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now