Which Virginia Creeper am I looking for?

(7 Posts)
SilverBirchWithout Thu 26-May-16 16:50:10

Many years ago in a previous garden I planted a Virgina Creeper (or Parthenocissus) which as well as having stunning Autumn colour had lovely pinky red new growth which matured into a light green leaf, it was one of my personal favourites.

I really don't know where to start to find it again. At the the time I think I can remember it wasn't actually labelled as Parthenocissus but something different.

Anybody able to offer any advice?

shovetheholly Thu 26-May-16 17:00:06

There is one called Parthenocissus henryana, which has light pink very divided leaves that mature to a darker green and then sensational bright pink winter colour - the leaves of this one are very divided with obvious silvery veins. However, the mature leaf colour is quite dark.

SilverBirchWithout Thu 26-May-16 18:52:15

Holly thanks, I have seen that one, but it's not quite the same, it might well be the one I do go for because of the attractive new growth.

Thinking about it a bit more I don't think the leaves were highly divided and were generally smaller. I can't help wonder whether it was mislabeled as Virginia Creeper or whether Partenocissus is a relatively new name. We're talking about 30 years ago, so it is possible that it is a plant no longer stocked at garden centres.

shovetheholly Fri 27-May-16 08:31:13

I think Parthenocissus is quite a wide genus from all over the place, so 'Virginia creeper' covers a lot of plants that are really quite different when you start looking at them. Leaves can be anything from one big leaf to 7 parts! So if you're remembering a plant with non-divided leaves, it's quite possible that's a member of the same family - one of those confusions caused by a common name that covers lots of different plants. (We had one of these recently where we found that two of us using the term 'bindweed' were talking about different types!!)

It could be 'Boston ivy', Parthenocissus tricuspidata??

SilverBirchWithout Fri 27-May-16 10:50:04

Oh yes, it was a Boston Ivy!

That really helps me narrow down my search, the leave shape is spot on. It also helps with my name confusion, it was my muddle memory about the fact although it was from the Genus Parthenocissus it was not called a Virginia Creeper.

For 25 years I've been trying to work it out. Brilliant detective work Holly thanks so much.

SilverBirchWithout Fri 27-May-16 10:50:31

*leaf !

shovetheholly Fri 27-May-16 10:51:57

smile Yay! It's lovely to reunite poster with long-lost plant!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now