Vine Weevil grubs advice please?

(7 Posts)
GrassyBottom Tue 17-May-16 17:49:56

I tipped out all my tubs to tidy up, re-pot and put some summer container plants in. The little white grubs are everywhere.
I've thrown away the rootless plant casualties but I'm left with a huge barrow load of soil contaminated with the little monsters.
Is there anything simple I can do with it? I daren't tip it onto a flower bed in case they attack the roots of nearby shrubs.
I've got 3 big compost bins which are full will that kill them?

Unremarkable Wed 18-May-16 07:55:52

I don't think putting them in the compost will necessarily kill them. You could drench the soil with a vine weevil killer (Provado or Scotts) which is super-effective but if you don't like to use chemicals then try a nematode treatment. Nemasys is the best in my experience. In reality I'd most probably leave the soil in the barrow for a bit, keep turning it and hope the local robin is feeling particularly hungry wink

TheSpottedZebra Wed 18-May-16 07:58:44

Have you got birds visiting your garden? I tend to leave the weevily soil at the end of the garden, undisturbed, but where the grubs can't escape to other pots, and leave it to the birds to clean up for me.ni spread it out in a potting tray or similar.

But if it's really bad, I tend to chuck in the council green waste bin.

JapanNextYear Wed 18-May-16 08:04:17

Vine weevil nematodes work really well, you might need two applications if it's a bad infestation. The websites say when it should be done.

I'd be tempted to do as poster above suggests and spread out the compost to let the birds at the grubs, it's the grubs that do the damage.

They don't, I think, do as much damage to shrubs in open ground. The RHS site states the shrubs they attack most. On balance though, it might be best to bite the bullet and start again. If you know anyone who composts they'll probably take the compost to mix into a compost bin, I'd use it as mulch on my allotment.

GrassyBottom Wed 18-May-16 09:35:44

Thanks folks. I wasn't expecting to re use the compost in containers and yet it seems such a waste to put it in the council green bin. I'm not against using chemicals but vine weevil killer is quite expensive and there is a lot of soil so not worth the cost.
I would like to add it to a border as anything will improve my soil. I'll spread it out for a week or two on the grass and let the birds do the job.
japan I think you must be right about the damage. I get them year after year in containers but have never noticed them killing shrubs in borders. My summer container plants had survived the mild winter only to be eaten rootless by weevils.

NewRags Wed 18-May-16 09:46:06

Definitely get some nematodes! I don't have an issue with vine weevil but had a massive infestation of slugs - got some nematodes and the numbers have been massively reduced!

shovetheholly Wed 18-May-16 12:00:54

Is it compost or soil that you have that's contaminated?

Nematodes for 25 sq m cost about a tenner. If new compost/soil to fill those containers would be about the same, I'd maybe think about buying that instead and binning the compost, which will be spent anyway - new stuff will have loads more nutrients in it. Alternatively, as zebra said - spread it out, let the birds do the hard work, and then use it as a mulch on beds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now