Would you plant a drift of the same plant or different ones?

(9 Posts)
AmyInTheBoonies Sat 14-May-16 15:35:22

I have a small border approx 2m x 1m at the front of my house. I am new to buying plants and not sure what would look best.

I am wondering if to buy for example 6 Salvias or 6 Euphorbia griffithii ‘Dixter’ and have it all the same or go for 6 different plants.

Any thoughts on what would look better? Thanks.

MadSprocker Sat 14-May-16 18:16:49

Odd numbers are better for a more natural look. What direction does the border face? Salvias are herbacious perennials, which means the die down in winter, then come back late spring and through the summer. I like grasses to help year round interest, or look on a gardening site like crocus for a ready made border.

AmyInTheBoonies Sat 14-May-16 18:44:19

Thanks MadSprocker , maybe Salvia not a very good choice if they die back as I'll have an empty border half the time.

I do love the Piet Oudolf style so maybe I should look at grasses again.

The border is South East so not bad in terms of sun although I am on the Scottish border.

MadSprocker Sat 14-May-16 18:51:57

I am a long way down in East Anglia, so probably have different needs in terms of gardening. It depends on how much maintenance you want to put into it too. Herbs can be low maintenance and evergreen, and good if you cook.

MadSprocker Sat 14-May-16 18:54:21

Never heard of him, but just looked on Google, and can see why you love the style. Try to look at open gardens nearby to get an idea of what grows really well in the area.

AmyInTheBoonies Sat 14-May-16 19:08:47

Good idea about local gardens, I do find I lose a few hardy plants over winter and don't really want to have to frost protect anything so I guess I am restricted to quite tough plants.

I need to use some grasses I think, will have a look on crocus. I could probably fit in 3 sets of 3 different plants and get at least one group of evergreens so the garden doesn't look empty all winter.

Thanks for the advice.

mupperoon Sat 14-May-16 19:14:49

I love the combination of euphorbia "Silver Swan" and any dark red or purple heuchera. Fairly good for all year round colour plus ground cover. A couple of grasses would work too.

AmyInTheBoonies Sat 14-May-16 19:47:02

Thanks mupperoon, I have just discovered Euphorbias and will look for Silver Swan. Maybe a backbone of evergreen Euphorbias then add in some Heuchera, Salvia and Grasses.

I think I am not particularly good at design and getting the garden looking cohesive but will attempt with this border to make it look less like a muddle of plants.

shovetheholly Sun 15-May-16 07:48:46

I LOVE Piet Oudolf!!

I think the thing about his designs is they have a very strong sense of structure and one that departs from a straightforward linear plan. Achieving the same effect in a small space is doable, but will need a bit of imagination! Maybe go a curvy line of repeat grasses and then smallish repeat drifts?? You can aim for some interest through from spring bulbs to autumn, but do bear in mind that even a place as spectacular as Scampston has an off season where it looks less than wonderful!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now