Anyone know if this is Japanese Knotweed (picture)

(10 Posts)
Twilightpirate Thu 12-May-16 12:14:48

And if not, what is it? Just found it in front garden. Only this little sprig but with a fleshy root. Leaves look like might be knotweed... But I'm no expert! confused

deepdarkwood Thu 12-May-16 12:20:29

No expert either, but while leaves look a little like, the growing habit looks all wrong to me - too 'spindly' in the main growing stem - more like a climber... Knotweed has quite a bamboo-isn look when young.

shovetheholly Thu 12-May-16 12:21:56

No, you will be relieved to hear it is not knotweed. It looks like bindweed to me! Leaves are the wrong shape for knotweed.

NanTheWiser Thu 12-May-16 12:43:38

It's not JK, and it's not bindweed either - looks familiar but can't think what!

bookbook Thu 12-May-16 14:50:44

looks a bit like convolvulus - do the stems twist around?

Twilightpirate Thu 12-May-16 20:28:33

Thanks all! To say I am relieved is an understatement!!

I have chucked in the bin but think he stem was a little bit twisty.... Looked like it might be a climber I suppose.

Ferguson Thu 12-May-16 20:37:33

I thought bindweed WAS convolvulus!

bookbook Thu 12-May-16 20:41:21

well, it is, the white trumpet flower in hedges.... always called it convolvulus! - the bindweed I have at my allotment is a smaller flower and leaf

shovetheholly Fri 13-May-16 18:48:59

I think both are called bindweed, but in Latin, Calystegia sepium versus Convolvulus arvensis?? The latter is the 'bindweed' I have in my allotment, and what I think the plant in the original post might be!

bookbook Fri 13-May-16 22:53:01

ah, clever shove smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now