My Indigo Rose tomato won't grow - what can I do?

(4 Posts)
VestalVirgin Wed 11-May-16 12:10:59

It is May, and everywhere you see those little tomato plants that already reach my knee ... and my little plants are just as long as my little finger and have only unfolded their first pair of actual leaves. sad.

Perhaps I put them outside too early ... or it was the unfertilized seedling earth I used, but that was recommended in the advice I read beforehand ... what can I do now? Put them inside when now it is sunny and warm outside? Take them inside over night? Fertilize them more?

Or just wait and not worry at all?

shovetheholly Wed 11-May-16 14:01:08

What variety are they? They may well have gotten checked by the fact it's been bloody baltic really late. They don't like it below 5 C and will tend to sulk like crazy and even go blue in response.

Tomatoes are weird. They can sit there for ages and then they suddenly romp away like a cat after a mouse. So I wouldn't give up just yet. Maybe repot them into some potting compost with more nutrients and keep them warm.

shovetheholly Wed 11-May-16 14:07:30

OK, so I'm asking you for the variety and IT'S IN THE BLOODY TITLE!! blush

I've never heard of it before - but it's a striking old fruit, isn't it? A lot of sites say it's a late summer cropper, so there is plenty of time for your plants to develop if they are kept warm! (Check night temps as well as day!)

VestalVirgin Wed 11-May-16 14:42:48

Tomatoes are weird. They can sit there for ages and then they suddenly romp away like a cat after a mouse. So I wouldn't give up just yet.

Thank you, that gives me hope. I did repot them recently, into normal gardening earth that should be already fertilized. Hopefully the warm wheather at the moment will help them ... will take them inside overnight.

Allegedly, this variety looks a bit like a Christmas tree and produces really, really violet fruit. Can't wait to see!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now