Shrubs to enclose front garden

(6 Posts)
hawleybits Tue 10-May-16 20:02:51

I'm currently debating, whether I want a three foot wooden fence to enclose my front garden or something else. I have a newly planted beech hedge to the side of the house and could buy more to continue with the same to the front but, it might be a bit much.

Can anyone recommend some beautiful shrubs that would be be useful as a boundary. Ideally, I'd like something that will reach about 3/4 feet tall. Various, pretty, sturdy plants, that work well together would be nice. I'd rather spend money on plants than fencing, if I can.

hawleybits Tue 10-May-16 20:05:15

I have around 25 meters to fill, so would need several plants!

funnyperson Tue 10-May-16 21:15:22

the trouble with beech is it is deciduous and looks straggly in the winter: i would be inclined to plant a winter flowering evergreen clematis such as avalanche with the beech

eglantine makes a pretty hedge

yew makes a stunning hedge and can be pruned into shapes

wiggly wigglers do edible hedge packs

funnyperson Tue 10-May-16 21:16:23

birds like laurel

hawleybits Tue 10-May-16 21:47:35

I've just watched Monty Don on a Gardener's World clip, planting a yew hedge...he does a lovely job wink I love the roses too. I will definitely give these some thought.

ElectroStallion Fri 13-May-16 00:05:22

Holly is nice, and the leaves come in different shades of green.

I have seen some lovely Forsythias trimmed into hedges over the last couple of weeks.
Pyracantha is nice, with lovely berries on for birds, and for colour.
I like dog roses too- you can get rose hips then, and the flowers are lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now