can i grow anyhing from seed now

(7 Posts)
pud1 Mon 09-May-16 12:11:58

this is probably the most stupid question but i am beyond useless but want to try.

i moved house last week and i now have a garden. it is mainly lawn and pots. i have bought a load of plants for the pots and have planted them all up. i used to spend hours with my Gran in the garden so i have bought things that remind me of her. i have hydrangea, geranium, lavender, lupins, pansys ( you get the drift).

i have got all the pots these came in and i have quite a bit of multi purpose compost left.

are there any seeds that i can buy to grow or is it the wrong time of year. can i use the multi purpose compost and were should i keep them ( and am i right in thinking a windowsill will do)

LaurieFairyCake Mon 09-May-16 12:16:51

Sweet peas can go straight in the ground. All peas and beans actually.

pud1 Mon 09-May-16 12:18:30

oh. i love sweet peas. do they need to be against a wall to climb?

scattychicken Mon 09-May-16 12:18:41

You could plant lettuce, radishes, carrots, peas and beans and cornflowers, forget me nots, loads now!

scattychicken Mon 09-May-16 12:19:21

You could climb them up bamboo canes?

pud1 Mon 09-May-16 12:39:45

thank you for the replies

can i use my multi purpose compost or do i need seed compost

shovetheholly Mon 09-May-16 12:46:54

Seed compost is safest! It's got lots of sand in it, and is better drained. You can then pot on into the multipurpose stuff.

You are a bit late for sweet peas from seed - but you can buy pots of little seedlings ready-germinated in the garden centre, so you can still grow them this year! Summer veg like runner beans, courgettes are ideal to sow right now. And in a few weeks, it'll be time for biennials like foxgloves for next year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now