Why is my camelia not flowering?

(3 Posts)
WellTidy Mon 09-May-16 12:07:41

We moved into our house a few years ago, and having a garden is very new to me. I've been loosely trying to identify what shrubs we have, and what flowers when, but it is a huge learning experience for me and I don't know what I'm doing at all.

One think I have noticed though is that the camellia always, always flowers at the end of April. Except that this year, it hasn't flowered at all. No buds that I can see, either. What has happened to it? It looks healthy in that it is bigger than ever, leaves are glossy, and I haven't cut it back at all. Neither have I sprayed anything near it.

Any idea please?

shovetheholly Mon 09-May-16 12:44:10

Two options spring to mind. First is that it might have dried out too much late last summer, when the buds first start forming. However, remembering back to last year's rather limp effort at summer in the UK, it strikes me that this is less likely than option 2, which is that the flower buds have been ruined by the spell of very late, cold weather that we've had. If you've noticed a lot of brown buds falling off, it could be this.

WellTidy Mon 09-May-16 14:35:56

Thanks (again) *shove. I wonder if there isn't enough water getting to it, as the shrubs to the left and right of it, and the camellia itself, are rather large now. I haven't seen any brown buds falling off. I just think they haven't formed. I'm disappointed as it is beautiful in bloom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now