Infill plants

(6 Posts)
fiorentina Sun 08-May-16 18:08:04

Last year we largely cleared our garden, leaving a few established shrubs and generally needing replanting as everything was so neglected and out of shape or a weed!

So we now have a good selection of climbers and shrubs that will grow in time but are only small at the moment. I planted some bulbs but not enough to fill the gaps. Any ideas for quick growing temporary infills? I'm guessing ideally we are talking bedding plants so was thinking geraniums and others but any other cheap and cheerful ideas welcome. Many thanks.

Floralnomad Sun 08-May-16 18:16:31

If you want perennials that spread you need ground cover hardy geraniums , they're fantastic - plant them and leave them alone and they get everywhere.

Liara Sun 08-May-16 20:31:12

You can grow cosmos from seed and they will fill many gaps. Same with snapdragons, wallflowers and arctic poppies (the latter two for next year now). Busy lizzies if any of it is in the shade. I like using verbascums in full sun. Nigella if you are willing to have it forever (I love it but it does self seed like crazy).

fiorentina Sun 08-May-16 20:58:16

Thank you. I did look at Cosmos plug plants online. Will look at hardy geraniums thank you.

gingeroots Sun 08-May-16 21:01:04

I'm not a gardener and this may be a foolish suggestion but - forget-me-nots are great fillers .And easy to thin out .Though I doubt you'd ever actually get rid o0f them .

fiorentina Sun 08-May-16 21:06:53

I love forget me nots but having cleared endless bluebells I'm wary of anything that I will struggle to get rid of as things establish. Thank you though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now