Hydrangea frenzy

(24 Posts)
Sounbelievablydull Thu 05-May-16 18:12:48

I am in a hydrangea frenzy after seeing a very posh garden in Richmond which seemed to almost totally planted with them last year, sadly my own garden is bare and frankly tragic.
I think the variety I saw was called annabelle. I have looked in vain but cannot find them. Are they difficult to get hold of? If I wanted a huge bank of them how close would I need to plant them?
We have clay soil and a sunny side and dark side typically town rectangular garden would this work for them?
I have not seen any of these in my area but the pink ones look as though they do pretty well.
We are reluctant gardeners so could be punching way above our weights

SnuffleGruntSnorter Thu 05-May-16 18:20:15

Our garden is chock a block with them (we've just moved in!) and whilst I like them not in this quantity! I'd happily donate some to you if I could.

My mother in law mentioned something about the soil needing a very low pH. I'm really not a gardenist, in fact I'm not really sure I'm replying when I can't be helpful to you! At least you get a bit of a bump.

Ask your local garden centre?

SnuffleGruntSnorter Thu 05-May-16 18:22:20

Ah interestingly it's the colour that's affected by the pH of the soil! Interesting stuff!

Sounbelievablydull Thu 05-May-16 18:24:39

Well it's very nice of you to reply!!! Especially with a new house,
I only want white ones so maybe I need to check re the soil thing.
I just feel such a sad do when I go in those garden places and know absolutely nothing

ChippyMinton Thu 05-May-16 18:41:06

A quick google found Annabel on the Thompson &Morgan website. And on special offersmile
That garden sounds amazing.

siddis Thu 05-May-16 21:37:11

I have just planted some Annabelle hydrangeas as they do look gorgeous!

I ordered mine from Crocus.co.uk

shovetheholly Fri 06-May-16 08:30:21

Best. Thread. Title. Ever.

The Japanese do amazing plantings with hydrangeas - in great masses! It's a world away from their slightly reticent use in British gardens. Check it out on Google images or Pinterest!

DorotheaHomeAlone Fri 06-May-16 08:35:22

I'm no gardener either but we have a couple of hydrangea plants in pots. You do need to check the soil ph as ours changed from blue to pink the summer after we bought them.

ChippyMinton Sat 07-May-16 12:19:59

If anyone want hydrangeas on quantity, Lidl have decent size plants for £4.99 each. Pink, blue and a pale lime green.

SixtiesChildOfWildBlueSkies Sat 07-May-16 12:34:40

I love Hydrangeas and though this doesn't answer your question, I just wanted to show you this. It was taken from the kitchen window of my old house, where this bush grew in the front garden of my neighbours (it overlapped across my kitchen window). I just loved it, and have now planted more here at my new house, and hope they look just as spectacular.
It was 10 ft high last year, and so beautiful.

Good luck with your garden smile

wonkylegs Sat 07-May-16 12:40:13

I got Annabelles from Crocus last year

Turbinaria Sat 07-May-16 14:44:44

Lidl currently have large mop head and lace cap hydrangeas for £4.99 in pink , blue and white

Sounbelievablydull Sat 07-May-16 15:56:09

Just got the last two annabelles at a local nursery so delighted.
Love the picture as well

funnyperson Sat 07-May-16 16:04:02

I have annabelle and also a nice lacey one and also hydrangea petiolaris
Am with shovetheholly on Japanese and hydrangeas

fiorentina Sat 07-May-16 20:52:46

I also bought my annabelle from crocus.co.uk and although they are small having been planted in the autumn, I have high hopes!

Sounbelievablydull Sat 07-May-16 21:18:30

I feel like I have found my people!!!

shirkingworking Mon 09-May-16 09:19:20

Ooh - I'm about to buy loads of annabelles! Although I am tempted by 'strong annabelles' - newish variety. Who wouldn't want a stronger version?! But I think the strong ones prefer full sun. Has anybody tried strong annabelles in a partially shaded border? South west facing garden but border is on the wrong side so not as sunny...

shovetheholly Mon 09-May-16 09:23:38

Check out the panicle forms. Cones!! CONES!!

Also, at Renishaw Hall there is a huge hydrangea, with the most massive football-sized white blooms. I think it might be 'incrediball'. Because they are more spherical than normal types, they look even more sensational (and you avoid the old lady shower cap shape!!)

shirkingworking Mon 09-May-16 10:08:35

Have one of those - magic candle... V pretty although late flowering - only just sprouting a few leaves now.

ElectroStallion Fri 13-May-16 00:03:04

I like the panicle variety, and the blue ones, like they have in Nantucket.
I think Annabelle would be too heavy on the shrubs whilst they're still small.

Sainsbury currently have nice largish plants at £12, ikea have them, small plants though at £5.

AgathaMystery Sun 15-May-16 08:03:12

Love hydrangeas - I only have white in my garden (except a rogue hot pink that somehow got in) & have a few varieties. I have mop head, lace cap, a climber which is lovely now after 6 long years & some incrediball which aren't quite incrieble yet but maybe in another few years. All one colour makes a huge impact.

Turbinaria Tue 17-May-16 23:01:16

Does anyone know how to keep hydrangeas a sky blue colour naturally without using aluminium sulphate?

LizzieMacQueen Tue 17-May-16 23:08:40

I hope you don't mind me posting my picture.

Old house, I miss those flowers.

BennyTheBall Tue 17-May-16 23:09:53

Another one adding to the hydrangea love.

I would happily fill my entire garden with them.

I currently just have one deep bed, about 4 x 4m which is dedicated to them. Last year, they were spectacular for the first time since I planted them 3 years earlier.

I don't like the blue colour, so I don't worry about the ph of the soil.

Last year, my mil bought me a 'limelight' hydrangea which is absolutely gorgeous. I keep it separate from all the others due to its colour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now