What to plant with...?

(9 Posts)
StDogolphin Sun 24-Apr-16 18:55:45

I have a small boarder with an orange rose at one corner and I have planted Crocosmia Lucifer and Bishop Llandaff along the back. What could I put in front that isnt red?

Liara Sun 24-Apr-16 20:49:10

How much space have you got in front?

shovetheholly Mon 25-Apr-16 09:01:00

Crocosmia and dahlias are later season, so what about something that has a bit more interest all-year round (or early on). And how about going really bold with your colourscheme - black and orange!!

For contrast with the orange you can get a glossy black hebe 'black beauty' - it's evergreen and will look fabulous all year. A really bright coloured grass might contrast with it quite nicely - pheasant tail grass has a lovely orange colour and is evergreen, and will look great all year. Ophiopogon planiscapus nigrescens is a low growing, very black grass which might give you another texture.

StDogolphin Mon 25-Apr-16 09:55:15

I have about a foot and a half to fill, its a small boarder next to a bench.

Ooo I hadn't thought of black! Sounds a bit sophisticated. I did wonder about something lime green?

I also hadn't thought about when they bloom as it was an impulse buy. I didn't think it through!

shovetheholly Mon 25-Apr-16 10:19:04

Sometimes that's the best way - put things in that you like, in colours that you like (and your orange/red is coherent) and then fill in with other plants to give you year-round interest. It may not be how posh garden designers work (I imagine they have to be so very much more organised) but it's a good way to fill your space with things you love.

StDogolphin Mon 25-Apr-16 11:20:28

A bit of Lady's Mantle and a few dark chocolate flowers that I have forgotten the name of now might be nice. Lady's Mantle does spread though.

funnyperson Mon 25-Apr-16 13:32:07

Nicotiniana lime green or even nicotiniana sylvestris
pennesetum orientalis or a miscanthus
ammi visnaga or an achillea
liliies eg regale
peacock gladioli
crambe cordiflora; it is a see through plant

Liara Mon 25-Apr-16 20:26:28

Heucheras and some of the lower grasses make lovely front of border plants.

StDogolphin Tue 26-Apr-16 10:15:03

Thanks everyone, going to mull it over!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now