quick question re what size pot ?

(5 Posts)
gingeroots Sun 24-Apr-16 11:31:24

I've just bought a small ( about 4inches high) Delta Sarah fuschia .

RHS says could be grown in generously sized pot so I'm wondering how that translates into actual size ?

Could anyone advise ? Thank you .

www.rhsplants.co.uk/plants/_/fuchsia-deltas-sara/classid.2000015644/

echt Sun 24-Apr-16 13:21:41

If you go 50% bigger, that should be OK, but check the roots in a year, if you intend to keep it in a container.

Permanently potted plants should be in the best compost available.

gingeroots Sun 24-Apr-16 15:21:54

So a 6" pot ?

I was thinking of a much larger pot ( say 12 " across ) with some annua;ls for colour .
so that the fuschia could stay there and not have to be repotted ,but I've just googled overpotting and presume my idea is not a good one ?

maybe I should put it in the ground ?

NanTheWiser Sun 24-Apr-16 17:07:05

No, don't overpot it - you risk root rot and wet compost that way. If it's only 4" high now a 4" or 5" pot will be best to start with, gradually potting on to larger sizes as it grows. If you want to put it in the ground, it's still best to start it off in a pot, and grow it on a bit until it's larger (and the weather gets warmer) before planting out, but I've just seen on your link that it's only border-line hardy, so maybe keeping it potted is a better idea.
Plants are always better off planted in a pot that they fit just comfortably in, so that their roots grow through the compost to fill the pot, then repotted into larger pots. That way, the compost doesn't stay wet too long and go sour. As echt says, use a good quality (branded) compost, maybe a John Innes #2.

gingeroots Sun 24-Apr-16 18:14:38

Ok ,that's brilliant - saved from filling a big pot ,planting ,watering ...and killing my baby fuschia .

Thanks so much for the timely advice !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now