Help naming a tree please

(23 Posts)
alwaysfancywine Sat 23-Apr-16 19:09:39

This is probably really easy - but I'm not a gardner atall - please could someone tell me what this tree is called? Thanks!

InstinctivelyITry Sat 23-Apr-16 19:27:28

If you're referring to the red/purple one, it looks like an Acer (Japanese Maple)

Beautiful tree

alwaysfancywine Sat 23-Apr-16 20:48:36

Ah thank you! Yes I did mean the purple one - sorry, forgot to say that. Appreciate it

InstinctivelyITry Sat 23-Apr-16 20:59:19

I mightn't be right tho blush...

Ifailed Sun 24-Apr-16 08:35:49

I name this tree....
Elizabeth.

Kr1stina Sun 24-Apr-16 09:13:44

It could be an acer but I'd like a close up of the leaves to be sure

shovetheholly Mon 25-Apr-16 08:57:07

Treey McWoodface?

Kr1stina Mon 25-Apr-16 09:05:13

Excellent choice holly

Have you thought of naming ships ? grin

alwaysfancywine Tue 26-Apr-16 08:51:05

I've managed to get a picture of the leaf now - is it a maple?

shovetheholly Tue 26-Apr-16 09:26:33

No, that's not a maple or acer. Nor is is copper beech.

I think it could be a purple-leaf plum, but not 100% sure.

shovetheholly Tue 26-Apr-16 09:28:47

By the way, that view is absolutely breathtaking. It's so utterly idyllic, it looks like some kind of idealised painting!

shovetheholly Tue 26-Apr-16 09:30:17

I am bemused by something about it, though... and that's the leaf cover. We are WAY off that kind of cover yet in my part of the world. It looks like it's June/July. Are you somewhere warm, OP?

MyNightWithMaud Tue 26-Apr-16 09:32:48

Those do look like plum leaves, but I share Holly's surprise at how advanced the leaves are. My plum tree is still only in bud.

alwaysfancywine Tue 26-Apr-16 09:53:17

Ah thanks shove. It's a house we are moving into next month in Surrey. The view is over the Surrey hills. Gorgeous huh? We are trying to find a name for the house (the current name is not great) so we thought we'd name it after a tree in the garden. Hmmm plum house?! Any idea how I can find out for sure what it is? Thanks all x

shovetheholly Tue 26-Apr-16 10:00:18

It's beautiful - you're so lucky to have that view! Could you just ask the current/previous owners what it is?

If it's a plum, it should have been in flower recently - it's been so cold that it might be late. That would help confirm it. Some ornamental plums fruit in the autumn, but not that many.

alwaysfancywine Tue 26-Apr-16 10:18:57

Hmm, we haven't lived there yet so not sure what it's been up to over the past few months. The owners have gone into an old peoples home now. I'll find another tree - watch this space! 😄

Kr1stina Tue 26-Apr-16 13:20:05

I'm wondering if it's Malus Royalty .

Kr1stina Tue 26-Apr-16 13:21:07

If it is, can I be the first to suggest you call the house " Buckingham palace " ?

shovetheholly Tue 26-Apr-16 13:30:32

grin that made me guffaw, kristina

Kr1stina Tue 26-Apr-16 22:50:57

This is Malus Royalty in my garden tonight . I'm in Scotland so probably about 2 weeks behind Surrey

shovetheholly Wed 27-Apr-16 08:35:42

That is one splendid leaf colour kristina.

We are way off most trees being in leaf here in Sheffield. Some hawthorn and some beech are out, but that's about it.

Kr1stina Wed 27-Apr-16 09:24:32

That's inetretsing Holly, I thought you would be ahead of me .

I think the crab apple comes into leaf early though, there's not much happening on the hawthorn , rowan, plum and birch that are in the same border as the malus . We have several ash which are always really late . Maybe they are objecting to the artic winds and hailstones

shovetheholly Wed 27-Apr-16 10:21:16

grin It's baltic out there today, isn't it?

I feel like we really ought to be seeing more leaves than we are now - it's very late. On my way in to the library this morning, I was looking out across the city, and the lack of leaf cover means it still looks like winter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now