What fertiliser?

(8 Posts)
letisnowtime Wed 20-Apr-16 08:01:30

We replanted our garden last year and I'm not much of a gardener.

What's the best fertiliser to put around the shrubs please? Preferably organic.

I have some home made compost to start with, but it won't be enough.

I could also get rotted horse manure, but, is there something easier than that that I could buy?

Thanks

JapanNextYear Wed 20-Apr-16 08:06:47

I use blood,Ishmael and bone round shrubs and trees, so permanent stuff really. And chuck chicken pellets round for the leafy quick growing stuff. Also some tomorite for flowers.

www.thompsons-plants.co.uk/products%20maintain%20organic%20gardening.html

JapanNextYear Wed 20-Apr-16 08:07:19

Fish meal not Ishmael....

letisnowtime Wed 20-Apr-16 10:00:07

Thanks - I think I have some bonemeal in the shed.

shovetheholly Wed 20-Apr-16 11:15:45

I am blood, Ishmael and bone? grin

Shrubs generally aren't that fussy. A bit of chicken poo or some compost is normally fine. It depends a bit whether you need to improve your soil more generally, or whether it's in a decent state and you're just looking to feed.

GreenMarkerPen Wed 20-Apr-16 11:22:30

comfrey juice grin
if you can get your hands on comfrey, alkanet, borage, nettles. cut them up tighly packed into a bucket, add water. cover and wait 2-3 weeks. then filter and use diluted (1cup to a watering can)

it absolutely STINKS

letisnowtime Wed 20-Apr-16 12:32:57

Loads of nettles around here -thanks, will try that too.

fieldfare Wed 20-Apr-16 12:38:30

I've just mixed a load of chicken pellets (on offer at B&Q at the moment) in with the compost for my potatoes.
My beans and cabbage, cauli, peppers, tomatoes and herbs etc have had blood, fish and bone mixed in the compost when I repotted and then in a few weeks I'll start giving everything tomorite every fortnight until it's all fruiting and then weekly. Tomorite or miracle grow, whichever is on offer or I find in the greenhouse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now