Tayberries

(6 Posts)
didireallysaythat Fri 15-Apr-16 18:03:23

I've got an allotment. I don't seem to have the time for most things, so it was a bit hit and miss but the raspberries were great as I did nothing and taa daa ! Lots of raspberries.

So I could have a whole plot of raspberries but that might be weird.

How are tayberries ? I'm thinking Buckingham so thorn free. I understand they will need wires but that's OK.

Yes or no ??

If no, what else ? I've got a couple of young blackcurrants to put in (I'm not a huge fan but...)

bookbook Fri 15-Apr-16 18:35:07

oh yes didi - I have a very new tayberry, and a loganberry as well. It 's just getting to the berries before the blackbirds.... smile

didireallysaythat Fri 15-Apr-16 18:46:17

Thank you book. May I ask where you got your fruit from ? A dull Friday at work and I've looked at most places online...

bookbook Fri 15-Apr-16 19:01:12

Ah, going to show my prejudices now ...... we have a very good proper nursery that we buy all our fruit trees/bushes from. I'm in Yorkshire and its near Pickering.
Its a trip out for us - about 30 miles, but a nice day out and very knowledgeable staff. So though they are a tweak more expensive than other places, we don't pay carriage, and get to pick the varieties that I want, rather than make do with what they have.
www.rvroger.co.uk/?linksource=frontpage

Have you maybe got someone near?

didireallysaythat Fri 15-Apr-16 20:09:16

I love a proper nursery ! My local one has alas started selling tea, weed and feed and all sorts of silly things. I liked it more when it was plants and nothing but plants. But it's still the place to go. If you ever travel down to the grim south

www.simpsonsnurseries.com/

But alas no tayberrries. Did get a wonderful amelanchier for £7.50 (3 foot, good shape, lovely flowers) though....

bookbook Fri 15-Apr-16 21:56:52

I last visited Ely about 36 years ago... showing my age!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now