Are hanging baskets on the front of your house considered old fashioned?

(26 Posts)
Princesspigeon Mon 11-Apr-16 00:09:54

We moved into our house last summer and it's only now that I've turned my attention to our garden. I thought it would be nice to have some hanging baskets at the front of our house as there is no garden there (just a parking space) and I was wondering about how to position them so I had a look at the houses along our row to see how they had done theirs - and literally none of them have hanging baskets..

It has made me wonder if my idea of gardening is a bit out of date?
Do people still like the look of hanging baskets on the front of houses? flowers

ouryve Mon 11-Apr-16 00:14:43

So long as they're not dribbling on your head or knocking you out in a breeze, they look fab. Though I understand that "living walls" are rather more in.

In which case, I shall claim a "living gutter" and save DH from getting his big ladders out.

Defiant Mon 11-Apr-16 00:26:23

I've got lots of hanging baskets out front since it's just a paved driveway and I like them! I think they're classic. I have a few different containers/basket styles and lots of different plants to keep them looking interesting.

justdontevenfuckingstart Mon 11-Apr-16 00:29:31

I think they're really lovely. Just don't forget to water them twice a day and end up with baskets of dead weeds. Not that I do that obviously.

justwhatineeded Mon 11-Apr-16 08:32:34

I think they look great. If you put some up then it might inspire others to brighten up their garden with something similar.

My mum is the only one who bothers with flowers in her flat. You can tell which balcony is hers right away because it's jam packed with containers and hanging baskets.

Spandexpants007 Mon 11-Apr-16 08:37:23

You can get some contemporary basket hanging shapes.

Muskateersmummy Mon 11-Apr-16 08:39:34

I love them. Can't wait for summer. I think they make the whole house look pretty

TheSpottedZebra Mon 11-Apr-16 08:42:41

They are a little bit old-fashioned, but if you lie them so what? Or you can channel your inner hipster and embrace them whole - heartedly?

Or, look at those Japanese hanging moss baskets - kokedama ?

Or, do what I do and wham them full of tomatoes.

funnyperson Mon 11-Apr-16 09:10:00

or strawberries

RudyMentary Mon 11-Apr-16 09:12:48

It's not the hanging baskets - it's what you put in them I think.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 11-Apr-16 09:13:04

They are happy positive things and you should go for it. Maybe your other neighbours just can't be bothered with the watering.

caker Mon 11-Apr-16 09:13:37

Love them! I'm going to start making some up this week. They are so bright and cheerful.

wonkylegs Mon 11-Apr-16 09:16:05

There's lots in our village, they start coming out now as part of the preparations for the regional 'in bloom' competition. It always brightens the whole village up, they are often teamed with matching tubs below them.

Lighteningirll Mon 11-Apr-16 09:18:01

Who Cates do what you like I have one but it was made for me and is of great sentimental value as well as looking awesome which is useful as I forget to water it

shovetheholly Mon 11-Apr-16 09:23:12

I'm a vote against hanging baskets. But a nice arrangement in a pot on the floor, on the other hand...

wonkylegs Mon 11-Apr-16 09:23:14

There are some nice ideas on Pinterest for hanging baskets

HaveYouSeenHerLately Mon 11-Apr-16 14:03:46

I love hanging baskets grin

Especially oversized ones. And ones that have been planted down the sides to make them look really full and lush.

I'd recommend mixing in some water retaining crystals (they sell them in Poundland).

I also like the idea of having a large (planted!) tub below flowers

fiorentina Mon 11-Apr-16 19:02:43

They can look a little pub garden if over done and garish. But there are nice shaped ones now and some more contemporary planting can look nice.

bookbook Mon 11-Apr-16 23:22:54

I'm here to vote hanging basket. I like to have something eye-catching near my front door , then people hopefully don't notice I haven't cleaned my windows

Princesspigeon Tue 12-Apr-16 00:15:04

Glad to hear that hanging baskets are getting the thumbs up on MN.

As we have no front garden I think they are needed, I do like a hanging basket and I always admire them when I spot one.

I just need to consider whether to go for subtle or large, bright and bushy!

HaveYouSeenHerLately Tue 12-Apr-16 20:32:17

love it bookbook grin

usual Tue 12-Apr-16 20:34:19

I love a nice hanging basket.

Tan1609 Thu 14-Apr-16 13:33:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Tan1609 Thu 14-Apr-16 13:35:04

Or a vase with a bay tree or Buxus Stem Pyramid Tree to flank the entrance to your house?

7Days Thu 14-Apr-16 13:35:26

I love them. Unfortunately y front is north facing and breezy and my big brazen hot pink petunias never last in them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now