If I want to build an old school herb and medicinals garden, what should I put in it?

(94 Posts)
ConfuciousSayWhat Sun 10-Apr-16 20:43:30

I've always wanted one. So I'm going to turn a corner of the garden into one. Any recommendations what to put in it? Anything old world or unusual I should look out for?

DonkeyOaty Sun 10-Apr-16 20:44:18

Chamomile

RaspberryOverload Sun 10-Apr-16 20:54:27

Mint
Rosemary
Thyme
Sage
Dill
Fennel
Lovage
Lemon balm
Lavender
Feverfew

All old style herbs

serin Sun 10-Apr-16 20:56:18

Parsley....cirt superfood! and good for halitosis.
St John's wort

Badders123 Sun 10-Apr-16 20:56:30

Rosehips?

Tate15 Sun 10-Apr-16 20:58:17

See pic

serin Sun 10-Apr-16 20:58:17

Oh and Borage for colds and erm....milk production!

wonkylegs Sun 10-Apr-16 20:58:35

Good post here on the subject - www.homesteadlady.com/how-to-plan-and-plant-a-medicinal-herb-garden/

serin Sun 10-Apr-16 20:59:22

see what pic?

RobinsAreTerritorialFuckers Sun 10-Apr-16 21:00:03

Ooh!

I feel like such a geek - I know about medieval and Tudor gardens (a bit). So I reckon:

- angelica. It gets huge but it is very authentically 'old school', you can candy it easily, and it looks beautiful and dramatic when it grows.
- lemon verbena. It smells wonderful and you can make tea with the leaves that is slightly soporific (I feel like Beatrix Potter writing that).
- myrtle. Very pretty, and old.
- summer savoury. Good for digestion.
- hyssop. In the Bible, you use hyssop springs for flicking water over people (really), so it's grow as a herb a lot.
- tansy. Loads of old recipes for tansy pudding. No idea what it really tastes like though!
- ginger. You really can grow it outside in the UK (with a bit of care over the summer, but using bog standard ginger root). It is genuinely good for stomach aches/sickness.
- mint. Good digestive. Obvious, but useful. Extra points for peppermint which is also pretty.
- rosemary. Anti-fungal and mild antiseptic.

... I am sure I could think of more if this is the sort of thing you wanted! grin

serin Sun 10-Apr-16 21:00:17

Oh right I can see pic now!

Tate15 Sun 10-Apr-16 21:00:39

www.homesteadlady.com/how-to-plan-and-plant-a-medicinal-herb-garden/

coldcanary Sun 10-Apr-16 21:00:40

Soapwort
Comfrey
Pennyroyal but it's a bitch to grow.
Dandelions - grow it in a tub.

SlipperyJack Sun 10-Apr-16 21:01:26

Apothecary rose

Chorltonswheelies422 Sun 10-Apr-16 21:01:39

The RHS website has several useful articles www.rhs.org.uk/Search?query=Herb+and+medicinal

ConfuciousSayWhat Sun 10-Apr-16 21:02:36

You amazing people!

Robins those are the kinds of things I'm after outside of what I'd call standard herbs thank you!

serin Sun 10-Apr-16 21:02:36

Foxgloves...but maybe just to look at!

RobinsAreTerritorialFuckers Sun 10-Apr-16 21:03:40

This reminds me - a friend of mine once told me that there is (somewhere!) a 'gin garden' made by the people who make Bombay Sapphire. They have planted all the aromatics that flavour that gin, and the paths are made of a mosaic of sunken bottles! It would be amazing.

But lemon and orange trees (or a calamondin if you want easy care and frost resistance) would be fairly authentic even for quite a long time ago. And the blossom would smell wonderful.

Rue and sage also authentic - there's a gorgeous children's novel by Jill Paton Walsh where people compare remedies for the Plague in Eyam (!), and sage is one of them. I doubt it works, but ...!

RobinaRedbreast Sun 10-Apr-16 21:04:28

Mmm.. Angelica - I've just planted some of that and I can't wait till it grows enough for a harvest. Candied Angelica is in summer sight for me smile

Gruach Sun 10-Apr-16 21:04:37

A physic garden? How wonderful.

I don't have my notebooks to hand so can only agree with the earlier posts. Will you be planting some old roses? You'll want garlic and iirc chives around them for protection against troublesome things.

RobinsAreTerritorialFuckers Sun 10-Apr-16 21:04:41

Cross post.

Yay! So glad it was useful confucious. I am so envious. If you ever want an eager assistant gardener. wink

7Days Sun 10-Apr-16 21:05:36

Are you planning to use them medicinally, Confucious?

serin Sun 10-Apr-16 21:06:25

I want a Gin garden grin

ConfuciousSayWhat Sun 10-Apr-16 21:08:05

gruach I have a number of old roses growing already, bloody things are hard work as they're not pest resistant but they're beautiful so they remain! I'll pop some aliums of some sort around them and hope it helps. I feed them banana skins which I didn't realise how much they helped until I first did it grin

ConfuciousSayWhat Sun 10-Apr-16 21:09:52

Robins or indeed anyone, can you suggest how to best plant them, or shall I just put them in the ground and hope? (my usual gardening method)

7days yes but also I want things that are lovely to look at and to smell/eat. I love the multisensory element of these gardens

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now