Can anyone suggest a climbing rose for a new arch?

(11 Posts)
NigellasGuest Sun 10-Apr-16 12:59:04

Haven't got the arch yet but its on it's way! I want to grow a rose or two up and over it but have a few criteria:

Needs to have attractive hips for Autumn interest;

Repeat flowering;

Ideally not orange, yellow or bright pink;

South facing, full sun!

I've tried googling but not much joy. They don't seem to give much information about hips, for a start. I even put "hips" into the David Austin search engine and nothing came up - can you believe that?!

Perhaps some of you have some ideas to help me out?

SueTrinder Sun 10-Apr-16 13:26:07

if you want to train over an arch you probably want a rambling rose. I can't find much about hips either.

We have a soft pink St Swithum which has a myrrh scent. We also have A Shropshire Lad which smells gorgeous (a proper tea rose scent) and is a lovely peachy pink but is on a north facing wall and doesn't really like it that much so has taken a while to get going. On a south facing wall it'll be fab. Neither have particularly interesting hips.

Greengager Sun 10-Apr-16 13:32:21

Snap! I was going to come on and say the same ones as sue! We have Shropshire lad on a south facing wall and it is lovely. Am getting a St S for a new arbour. Not helped you with your hip problem sorry!

Greengager Sun 10-Apr-16 13:34:44

Found an article that could have been written for you www.dailymail.co.uk/home/gardening/article-1224730/The-hip-rose-parade-The-roses-faded-glory-dont-despair--neglected-fruits-jewels-autumn-colour.html

NigellasGuest Sun 10-Apr-16 13:37:08

Am I right in thinking a rambler only flowers the once? This arch is close to the patio and summer long interest would be preferable. I think Shropshire Lad is gorgeous though! And a rose with a beautiful scent would be amazing for sitting on the patio. Do you think i really can't tick all my boxes?

TheSolitaryWanderer Sun 10-Apr-16 13:40:58

Email David Austin and ask, they're very friendly and helpful.

NigellasGuest Sun 10-Apr-16 13:41:32

Oh Greengager - I didn't see your second post with the link to the article. I've had a quick read - thank you !!! Back to read more carefully now ..... Looks hopeful ...

TheNoodlesIncident Sun 10-Apr-16 23:18:31

Try Peter Beale website, they have a lot of criteria to narrow down your search, including how much scent, how thorny, how much shade/sun - I think they include hips and wildlife friendliness too, Link here

NigellasGuest Mon 11-Apr-16 17:53:57

update: I did email David Austin as recommended by TheSolitaryWanderer and they have replied already, suggesting The Generous Gardener. It's a lovely pale pink rose (looks like Gentle Hermione which I already have) with scent, repeat flowering plus nice hips. So that's on the shortlist. Off to try TheNoodles link now though!

Potterwolfie Mon 11-Apr-16 18:03:36

I absolutely love roses but have never actually planted them in my garden.

I have a north facing garden though in spring and summer, areas of it do get plenty of sun.

How should I prepare the soil, and are roses okay in large pots? Am on a rose-related mission now...grin

NigellasGuest Mon 11-Apr-16 21:57:16

The Peter Beale website is great, thanks Noodles!

Potterwolfie you must plant some roses! You will definitely find loads that suit your north facing garden. Look on the websites mentioned on this thread for advice, but soil wise I believe roses aren't that fussy, just dig in lots of nice manure into the soil before digging a hole and planting. I'm sure you can grow them in large pots, I've done it although the rose only lasted three years I think. I recently redesigned my garden, and have dug up two roses from the border and potted them up for the patio instead. Hopefully they will like it there, the pots are nice and large. Some roses are more suited to pots than others though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now