Bamboo

(14 Posts)
hooliodancer Sat 09-Apr-16 13:04:24

We have just acquired neighbours from hell. Long story, but what they have put us through has had me on the edge of a breakdown. They have alienated all the neighbours, and genuinely don't care.

Our back gardens have no fences between them, and we are not allowed to put fences up (all the gardens in our row are rented)

I cannot bear to look at these people, so need a fast growing plant to screen them out.. Bamboo seems perfect, but I don't know where to get it from or how much to pay! I have looked on line and am even more confused! Can anyone recommend an on line supplier please?

The strip I need to screen is 3-4 metres. How many would I need? How tall, what size of pot to buy? Thanks.

SwanneeKazoo Sat 09-Apr-16 13:19:45

bamboo is incredibly invasive, I wouldn't recommend planting it in the ground. What about good old Leylandii - not everyone's cup of tea but it sounds perfect for your situation.

GreenMarkerPen Sat 09-Apr-16 13:22:44

agree, if bamboo then you need to keep it in pots. and over pots si that the roots can't crawl out underneath.

I would go for rectangular balcony pots or laundry troughs.

justwhatineeded Sat 09-Apr-16 15:01:06

I would really advise against bamboo. Search here and see the problems it causes. You don't want to shoot yourself in the foot.

there is nothing stopping you putting a fence on your side a few inches before the boundary line. If you don't then it will be cheaper to put up privacy screen. it is cheap to buy and will instantly block them, it wont last as long as a fence but will solve your problem

If you do want to plant something you will have to buy established plants. otherwise you will be waiting for them to grow.

justwhatineeded Sat 09-Apr-16 15:05:34

I don't know how to edit so the second paragraph doesn't make sense.

a privacy screen is cheaper than a fence, if you don't want to spend a lot of money because you are renting it will be cheaper. A fence will last longer though

Ferguson Sat 09-Apr-16 17:11:52

MOST ORDINARY bamboos are invasive - Yes - but black bamboo (phyllostachys nigra) can easily be kept under control. And it is evergreen, so always has some leaves on:

www.palmcentre.co.uk/products/pni/phyllostachys-nigra-black-bamboo

hooliodancer Sat 09-Apr-16 19:34:16

No, we don't rent our house.The gardens are rented though. We are not allowed to erect fences on them or any type of screen, but we can have plants. I would spend £300

GreenMarkerPen Sat 09-Apr-16 19:59:04

how about a trellis planter?

hooliodancer Sat 09-Apr-16 21:36:43

No, I think that would be seen as a structure! It would be a very good idea though if the powers that be were not so fussy.

I am loving the black bamboo though.

DarkBlueEyes Sun 10-Apr-16 14:25:54

Please don't get bamboo, it's a bloody nightmare.

What about a hedge such as copper beech? Quick growing, not too expensive and fantastic screening.

Honeyandfizz Sun 10-Apr-16 21:46:29

Have a look at www.paramountplants.co.uk and www.seagravenurseries.co.uk both have mature bamboo for sale that they will deliver. I'm in a similar position of needing screening thanks to new neighbours cutting down a large tree at the bottom of our garden then moving out for 12 months whilst building a huge overbearing extension angry

funnyperson Mon 11-Apr-16 09:16:20

Are you allowed to plant living willow?

shovetheholly Mon 11-Apr-16 09:30:11

I am sorry you're having such problems with neighbours, OP. It's really miserable to be in that situation. My heart goes out for you.

I do sometimes wish we could have a sticky thread about bamboo that says 'Before you post about bamboo please read this'. grin There are TWO kinds of bamboo as the ever-wise Ferguson says. Those that spread with rhizomes are very invasive and can be a nightmare. Clump-forming varieties, however, are quite well behaved and can be very beautiful.

Please don't plant leylandii. You turn your back and they can get really out of control, and that can spoil garden spaces not just for you and the horrible neighbours but others too. They also suck out a lot of moisture and nutrients from the soil, making it hard for you to underplant them.

In your shoes I would take the opportunity to plant a bit of a hedge. Choose something dense growing and evergreen and you'll get a screen for noise as well as for sight - and it'll be impenetrable so you really will be shutting them out. You can either plant just one thing (pyracantha?) or several different kinds of bushes.

hooliodancer Mon 11-Apr-16 19:23:22

Thanks, yes it is awful. There was harmony before, we didn't realise how lucky we were.

Living willow is an option I will look into, also the non invasive bamboos, which is what I was thinking of.

He is building an awful invasive extension,up to the boundary (we have tiny gardens which are not rented, he is building on his whole owned bit of garden). He has forced us to remove all our plants, which has been heartbreaking - 16 year old glorious roses and clematis. Had he built just 4 inches back my roses would still be there, so for the sake of those 4 inches he has destroyed my garden. When I see him I feel sick, hence wanting a screen in our rented gardens.

Our neighbour on the other side has been in tears today over how he has treated her. She is 96.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now