Greenhouse

(5 Posts)
Grinstead Thu 07-Apr-16 22:26:44

Our new house has old greenhouse in garden, it has a couple of panes missing and no heating but can I use it now to leave seedlings and small plants in? We are in south east England so fairly ild

bookbook Thu 07-Apr-16 22:31:04

Absolutely! new replacement panes are easy to get hold of, and I would do that, so no drafts, and warmth kept in. I have no heating in my greenhouse up in Yorkshire, and it is bursting at the moment with flower and vegetable seedlings .
Some plants are more tender than others, so just take a bit of care, and you will be fine smile

JapanNextYear Thu 07-Apr-16 22:31:09

My first year of having a greenhouse and it's brilliant, got so many. Things started quickly, like kale and pinch and beans that I've now moved to be outside. Lots of flower seeds started.

I've put an order in for tomato and chilli plug plants to arrive next month and have some potatoes growing already in a tub.

It's made such a difference.

I think it's quite easy to replace broken glass in one.

fieldfare Thu 07-Apr-16 22:32:44

Yes they'll be fine. It doesn't really drop below 5C now and that's the point at which seedlings seem to suffer.
I'm in Suffolk and have all manner of seedlings and veggies I've potted on in mine. They're doing well.

shovetheholly Fri 08-Apr-16 10:24:16

Oh you lucky thing, OP! If you get the panes mended - which will cost next to nothing- you can grow all kinds of things! Just watch out for the temperature falling below 5 degrees C at night - some things (like tomatoes) may need to be brought indoors if this happens. (Others will be just fine - cabbages, for instance!)

I use IFFT as an app on my phone. There's a 'recipe' on there that will send you a text if the forecast is to be below 5. This reminds me to bring in the tender things!

fieldfare - I love Suffolk! v v jealous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now