Has anyone used these?

(14 Posts)
lorelei9here Thu 07-Apr-16 19:44:50

Never had a garden so apologies of being thick
I was thinking to buy one of these, but do I literally just put soil and seeds right into the bag? Thanks
tinyurl.com/j22jfv5

Starman16 Thu 07-Apr-16 19:52:40

I've not used one but yes you just put the soil and seeds/plants straight in. Be warned they will likely dry out very quickly so you will need to water regularly, probably twice a day in high summer (assuming we get a proper summer of course!)

elephantoverthehill Thu 07-Apr-16 19:54:55

I have not come across these before, but they look quite a neat solution. Anything will grow given the right conditions. My only concern would be about drainage. I can't see what they are made from.

elephantoverthehill Thu 07-Apr-16 19:56:20

Ha ha Starman my glass is clearly half empty to your half full one.smile

gingeroots Thu 07-Apr-16 20:14:06

I keep looking at these and telling myself they won't hold enough soil for plants to flourish .But I am sorely tempted .

They do come in all shapes and sizes ,so some may be better than others .

I particularly like these

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KS6B61S?psc=1

I think they're made of a permeable fabric ,so may dry out rather quickly .Though that swell gel/water retaining crystals are good .

lorelei9here Thu 07-Apr-16 20:56:58

I was also thinking, are they big enough for enough soil?

I think I might buy one and find out. Thanks all.

Starman16 Thu 07-Apr-16 20:57:25

Elephant I live in one of the driest parts of the country not a stealth boast at all with a courtyard garden full of pots so am always on full watering alert!!

lorelei9here Thu 07-Apr-16 22:08:48

Id love to live in the least rainy place.

elephantoverthehill Thu 07-Apr-16 22:36:48

lorelei you will have to post pics around June/July to show us how it went. I should 'geographically' live in a sunny part of the UK and have a fairly sheltered garden but have lost pansies and stuff in pots due to waterlogging this year and then ensuing rot. sad

lorelei9here Thu 07-Apr-16 22:40:32

Elephant, if I try them I'll post pictures.
I'm getting slightly carried away because I planted some forget me not seeds and they have little green shoots already....I have no garden space but a minuscule Juliet type balcony so I thought these might be a way of growing something outside.

But I might be better just having a little indoor patch of potted plants. I've also got a weird idea of growing a water lily indoors....

lorelei9here Thu 07-Apr-16 22:41:24

PS I've never even had cacti so this is a new world for me!

elephantoverthehill Thu 07-Apr-16 22:59:16

I've seen some pots on peoples balcony rails, I think they may come from Ikea. I can only think to describe them as a pot with a groin or like a filled pair of boxer shorts so they straddle the railing. This seem to be quite stable but may allow for a bit more soil and sunlight.

lorelei9here Thu 07-Apr-16 23:34:04

Pot with a groin!!!

Seriously, I don't want any of it overhanging the street, too paranoid for that. Even a light pot falling from a high floor ...<shudders>

HaveYouSeenHerLately Fri 08-Apr-16 10:30:10

Have you seen Elho FlowerBridges? Info on the Elho website or sold on Amazon. They have stabilisers to attach them to balconies/ railings etc.

Although I think I prefer 'pot with a groin' grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now