Talk to me about tree surgeons

(8 Posts)
MrsFogi Wed 06-Apr-16 23:22:38

I have one coming over to do an estimate as we need a couple of trees taken down. But as he'll be over and we have lots of neglected trees should I be taking the opportunity to do a walk around to see if he thinks other trees require any "surgery". Also, what do grown ups normally do when they have a garden with lots of trees - get a tree surgeon in on a regular basis for maintenance (if so, how does that work?)? All advice/insight welcome as I'm a novice at this whole garden/tree lark.

ExpandingRoundTheMiddle Wed 06-Apr-16 23:29:15

Get three quotes. Ask about removal of waste. Do you want loads of bark chippings made from your own waste or do you want it all removed? Do you want the stumps taken out fully or just cut to the ground? Watch to see how careful or otherwise they are if they need to cross your flowerbeds. Do they use subcontractors or do the job themselves.
Re the other trees, just ask if they can see anything that's obviously dangerous otherwise the answer you get will likely be 'yes'.

ExpandingRoundTheMiddle Wed 06-Apr-16 23:35:05

With the maintenance, you have a responsibility to take reasonable care that they are safe. A yearly visit from a tree surgeon to check for sound root plates and any obviously dangerous branches in the crown is enough, so my council's tree officer told me when my neighbour was sabre rattling. I don't generally do this though. As he said, a tree can throw a branch with no warning anyway.

MrsFogi Fri 15-Apr-16 11:01:28

Thanks ERTM!

Ifailed Fri 15-Apr-16 12:59:53

Don't know where you are, but round here we need council permission to remove a tree, especially if they have a preservation order on them. TS should be able to advice you.

didireallysaythat Fri 15-Apr-16 18:07:43

A good tree surgeon surveys, listens, discusses all the trees you've got, if it's the right time of year, how frequently you need to do this, checks for TPOs and then quotes. If they quote on the spot, I'd get a second quote.

dodobookends Fri 15-Apr-16 18:13:52

Make sure they are a properly trained tree surgeon - my MIL had somebody in last year (recommended by her gardener) and they made a god-awful mess of a beautiful Japanese maple in her garden and just hacked bits off willy-nilly to make it a bit smaller. Totally ruined the shape of it.

VoyageOfDad Fri 15-Apr-16 18:19:34

You don't really need to think about regular visits from a Tree Surgeon, unless you're particularly proud of your trees.

And no harm in walking them round the garden ( or better still let them have a look round solo ) .

Likely they'll suggest taking the dead wood out and if any trees are blocking light there's thinning out. They should be able to spot any disease or future problems.

And yes to being reputable , a tree surgeon should have insurance for £1m+ in case they drop a tree on your house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now