Can anyone help with automatic mower questions?

(6 Posts)
Lovepancakes Sun 03-Apr-16 16:19:42

Hi
We are considering one of these for our large lawn but have several questions.

A mole hills an issue (we have lots).

Do they avoid ponds or bushes intelligently or do we have to put boundary wire everywhere?

How does the power to the charging station work, how do we bring power from the house?

Is the anti theft effective?

And I'm assuming these are cheaper to run than petrol, does anyone know? I like the fact saves hours of time but interested if a cost advantage too.

Many thanks for any help especially if my questions are silly

Ferguson Sun 03-Apr-16 20:48:00

These are a few sites I've found. I'll come back in a day or two, when you have had a chance to read.

www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardeningequipment/9960597/The-best-robotic-lawnmowers.html

www.husqvarna.com/uk/products/robotic-lawn-mowers/

www.mowdirect.co.uk/lawn-mowers/automatic-robot-lawn-mowers

robomow.com/en-GB/

Lovepancakes Sun 03-Apr-16 20:58:18

Thank you so much! I have already looked at the first 3 and grateful for your thoughtfulness .
A video answered my question about the boundaries but links still don't quite explain everything I'm worried about being sure will work - I expect I can get a power supply from the house somehow . But mole hills aren't mentioned and we have so many!

It sounds like the cost thing is efficient (we are looking at a Husqvarna by the way V a normal ride on mower)

Unremarkable Wed 06-Apr-16 08:04:29

My work brings me into contact with quite a few of these robotic mowers (though not the Husqvarna as yet) so here's my experience.

They will mow over molehills if they are quite low with fine soil. The soil will blunt the blade though. If they bump into a big mole hill they will treat it like an obstacle and reverse away.

Boundary wire will be needed for the pond but the mower will bump into trees and then move away.

The charging station will come with a long cable - so if you've got an outside plug it's great. Otherwise you'll have to run it from inside - possible but means running through a window or a catflap or similar.

They're not completely theft-proof but the pin code/ alarm works well. I wouldn't have one where it's very visible because they'll always be an idiot out there somewhere. You can always set it to mow during the night and tucked away in the base station during the day so it's not trundling around temptingly during daylight hours.

They're very cost effective - low maintenance, runs on electric.
I love them - so quiet, give a really lovely finish on the lawn and trundle around in a very calming manner!

Lovepancakes Wed 06-Apr-16 14:32:42

Oh thank you unremarkable for your encouraging reply. It arrived an hour ago and I've tried in vain to find an outside socket so going to tey the improvised cat flap method!! (Through a basement window which has bars which I hope will do).

I'm excited you sound positive about them as it feels a big expense even with our half price deal and thank you!

guerre Tue 12-Apr-16 01:42:52

May I ask where your bargain was from? I have been eyeing these.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now