Ground elder in a rental property. Would you?

(10 Posts)
gatewalker Thu 24-Mar-16 08:47:41

I didn't know whether to put this into Gardening or Property, but this made more sense.

Would you rent a property that had a fair amount of ground elder in its flowerbeds?

I'm just wondering if my reaction to it is disproportionate or not.

Orangeanddemons Thu 24-Mar-16 08:50:25

Ground elder is an absolute bloody nightmare. S I guess no I wouldn't.

gatewalker Thu 24-Mar-16 08:53:41

I'm the same, Orange - I went to look at a property yesterday. It wasn't suitable anyway, but, you know, had everything else been perfect, I think I'd still not take it for that reason alone. It is a horrible, noxious, impossible-to-get-rid-of weed. My contempt for it comes from having an acre of garden several years ago that was carpeted in it. I had one small flowerbed - one! - that I had managed to salvage, and that was a continual battle as it spread through the lawn.

So thank you for your matching viewpoint smile

DreamingofItaly Thu 24-Mar-16 08:59:12

We rented our property and had ground elder (still have it, sodding stuff is a nightmare). Your rental agreement will say you hand the property back in an acceptable state, that which you took it on in ( or words to that effect). My suggestion would be to make a comment about it, take photographs and agree (in writing) with the landlord that while the garden will not get worse, you will not be responsible for removing it altogether.

My landlords tried to get us to hire their (ridiculously expensive) gardener to keep on top of it but we managed, subsequently bought the house from the landlords when they decided to sell.

The biggest question is how much of a gardener are you, do you want to keep on top of it? That permeable matting is great by the way, we covered ours and it's made things easier.

Orangeanddemons Thu 24-Mar-16 09:00:49

I still remember my old house. Trying to make a nice garden. Digging that stuff out every bloody day, and still it grew....

PurpleWithRed Thu 24-Mar-16 09:03:23

I've got rid of ground elder - much easier than (say) bindweed. Shallow rooting and quite satisfying to pick out. But you do have to b dedicated.

Ethelswith Thu 24-Mar-16 09:15:33

"is a horrible, noxious, impossible-to-get-rid-of weed. My contempt for it comes from having an acre of garden .... carpeted in it"

Are you me?

DDad tried a flame thrower, which does hold it a bit. Would the LL let you go in for the dramatic options?

ProfYaffle Thu 24-Mar-16 09:18:11

Harvest it! grin

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 24-Mar-16 09:21:27

I've got rid of it - it took massive determination. But yes - if you decide it is a food crop then inevitably it will die off really quickly, leaving you hungry.

gatewalker Thu 24-Mar-16 10:11:56

Dreaming - Thank you for some great advice. I decided against the house anyway - it had a litany of woes - but it's good to know my rights.

Purple - My dedication reserves ran out with the acre garden. Life is too short!

Ethel - I'd use a flame-thrower simply for the sheer joy of a moment's blazing victory, no matter the short term outcome grin

Prof - I'm refusing to eat it as a matter of principle! But then again, given OYBBK's comment, perhaps not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now