Is there any hope for daffodils that have stopped blooming?

(6 Posts)
StDogolphin Fri 18-Mar-16 13:40:54

I have loads of daffodils in my garden that have no blooms this year. Are they doomed? Is there anything I can do for them?

shovetheholly Fri 18-Mar-16 14:19:29

So have leaves but no flowers?

Common causes of this are:

- daffs are too dry
- daffs have had their leaves taken away too soon in previous years
- daffs weren't deadheaded the previous year

Any of those ring a bell?

If none of them do, it could be pests! It might be necessary to dig up a bulb or two and have a gander.

I don't know if it's that easy to get them going again once they go like this, unfortunately. You might be best digging them up and starting again in the autumn I'm afraid. But it's obviously worth finding the problem first so that it doesn't happen again.

(Others may have more optimistic advice).

StDogolphin Fri 18-Mar-16 14:57:43

It could be that we didn't deadhead them (as I thought you were supposed to leave them?).

shovetheholly Fri 18-Mar-16 15:00:57

You take off the old withered flower, including the bulbous bit at the top of the flowering stem. Then you leave the leaves and the rest of the stem to die back naturally. A feed can help bulk them out for the following year.

Check the bulbs are buried deep enough as well - I just read an article that said this can be a factor.

MattBerrysHair Fri 18-Mar-16 15:30:41

It could be that the bulbs are now too close together just need separating. If a clump of daffodils are allowed to multiply naturally over the years without being divided, the cramped bulbs will produce only foliage and very few flowers (called coming up 'blind').

StDogolphin Fri 18-Mar-16 16:30:09

OK thank you, could be a bit of all those things! I must give my daffs more attention!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now