planting in guttering

(3 Posts)
badasscafe1 Wed 16-Mar-16 15:00:26

just saw some websites mentioning planting strawberries in guttering pipes. I think I would like to give this a go, and attach the pipes to the top of my fence (only a metre high)- has anyone done this? any tips? thanks

shovetheholly Thu 17-Mar-16 08:33:20

I've sown stuff for my allotment in guttering and then shuffled it into trenches to plant. It worked OK for lettuces (though sadly not for roots, which was what I really wanted).

The problem I think you'll have with stuff that is more permanently sited in a narrow and shallow gutter is watering. Guttering will dry out really fast, and while strawberries don't mind a bit of heat and dry, they will suffer if they get too little moisture. I would worry about giving them enough in the heat of the summer.

soggyweetabix Thu 17-Mar-16 08:36:35

I have done just this. I've planted some of last year's strawberry runners in a piece of guttering which is now about 4feet high on the garage wall.
Yes, agree with shove, I am not sure if they will ultimately get enough water, but, like everything else in my garden, it's an experiment...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now