bedding perennials for crappy soil

(3 Posts)
LBOCS2 Sat 27-Feb-16 16:33:17

Right. My front garden is an embarrassment and this spring I want to sort it out, but in the most time effective manner possible as I'm 34 weeks pregnant with no 2 so I'm not going to have masses of time to devote to it.

I have a relatively sloped bank alongside the path to the front door which is almost like a rockery, it's so full of bits of concrete/old brick. The soil is not in fabulous condition and the slope is in sun for the majority of the day. There are various plants in it, some of which we have inherited, some have self seeded. In an ideal world, what I'd like to do is spend an afternoon out there pulling out anything I don't recognise and then just plant loads and loads of quite fast growing ground covering bedding plants. What would you suggest planting? Something with a bit of interest for the majority of the year would also be great but equally I'm happy to mix up a couple of plants.

rosebiggs Sun 28-Feb-16 10:07:30

Salvia always grows well. I just cut mine back in Spring and then leave it.

Cathpot Fri 11-Mar-16 12:10:53

Can you just treat it as a rockery and go to the alpine section in the garden centre- just buy a mix of the tiny pots as they are cheaper and they spread out really nicely. Thyme flowers very prettily and survives in remarkably crappy soil. Wild strawberries? What sort of look are you after and how long is the section you need to plant up? I've had some success with sebum grown from seed but it did take a while to get going.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now