Sinking on new turf

(5 Posts)
personoftheinternet Tue 23-Feb-16 10:14:03

Hi, am renting a new build and turf was laid in the garden in early January. The land was extremely waterlogged before the turf was put down and the turf was laid in one day without prepping the land much in advance, they rotavated the land on the day but little else from what I saw.
Anyway, the garden is still unusable and we sink if we step on it. I've no experience with newly laid turf, surely we should be able to use it by now? Or at least be able to step on it without sinking!

shovetheholly Tue 23-Feb-16 10:27:28

Turf should be laid on soil that has been rotavated then properly firmed by treading and levelled! Did they not do the treading and levelling part?

How bad is the sinking? Lawns do tend to be a bit spongy at first, hardening up with time as things dry out, but if it's like quagmire or very, very uneven then something's wrong!!

It has been very, very wet this winter, though. Lots of us - me included - have established lawns that have taken a bit of a hammering and will need patching and reseeding once the growing season is under way. With the kind of weather we've had, they aren't that usable in the winter months.

cooper44 Tue 23-Feb-16 17:48:46

we did our turf in Nov and it's only now really feeling quite stable and properly rooted. But as Shove says if they didn't tread it all over properly you might have sinking areas. We spent days and days doing ours and a whole weekend on preparation. Although it's a big garden.

personoftheinternet Tue 23-Feb-16 21:44:15

It sinks around an inch or so if stepped on. As Shove mentioned though I doubt the recent weather has helped.
It did seem a bit of a rushed job though. It took just over half a day and it is a fairly decent sized garden. There is a patch at the rear of the garden where water pools too.

GrouchyKiwi Thu 25-Feb-16 13:26:02

We had a similar issue with ours, though it was laid in May last year when the weather was quite dry (though wet on the morning we moved). There are some deepish hollows in parts of our lawn. They too did a rush job; the turf was supposed to be laid two weeks before we moved in but it still wasn't done when the removal van arrived! Our movers told them off and made them get on with it so our new carpets wouldn't be ruined by mud. I've decided to turn the worst bits into garden - eventually.

After the rains this winter there are still bits of the lawn that sink underfoot so I imagine it must be worse for you.

Can you get your landlord to talk to the developers about fixing it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now