Slug poison harming hedgehogs?

(13 Posts)
nailslikeknives Sun 07-Feb-16 15:05:58

We have 1-2 visiting hedgehogs and usually about a million slugs. Every year, the slugs try to kill off the hydrangeas, so I liberally apply slug poison pellets.
Somehow/somewhere I've heard that the poisoned slugs poison the hedgehogs when they eat them. Does anyone know if this is true? If it is, I'll have to find another way to slaughter the slugs, there are just so damn many of them!!
Thank you!

Quoteunquote Sun 07-Feb-16 15:09:45

scissors and upside down pots, the slugs gather and you chop them in half.

and put in some hedge hog houses and they will do the work for you.

Please ,no slug pellets they are so wrong and bad.

nailslikeknives Sun 07-Feb-16 15:42:14

Quote, why are the pellets so bad? I've only had my own garden 5ish years so pretty new to the ins and outs.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 07-Feb-16 15:44:31

Yeah, slug pellets do poison hedgehogs. If they eat few poisoned slugs and are otherwise healthy, they can be okay, but it tends to cause liver failure. If the hedgehog is already struggling (and most wildies seem to be in less than optimal health these days), it can be fatal even if they don't consume much.

I've got four wildies sleeping here this weekend, two which have recovered from poison (not necessarily slug poison, I think one was weedkiller) and two which didn't hibernate in time.

nailslikeknives Sun 07-Feb-16 15:48:32

Ok then, no more poison. I'm not sure I can cut them in 1/2 but I'll lob them in the green recycling bin.

PurpleWithRed Sun 07-Feb-16 15:53:46

Are you sure slugs are having a go at your hydrangeas? Hydrangeas are pretty bullet proof in my experience and not that tasty to slugs. YOU can get pellets that are more environmentally friendly but personally I'd let the hedgehogs do the work for me.

Quoteunquote Sun 07-Feb-16 16:00:21

Because they poison the wildlife that would do the job properly given half a chance.

DoreenLethal Sun 07-Feb-16 16:01:36

The thing with slug pellets, they include within their make up, a slug attractant. So attracting more slugs to your garden in the first place.

If you have hedgehogs, then give them more shelters, and they should control your slug population for you.

nailslikeknives Sun 07-Feb-16 18:34:40

Purple - I'm stumped but when it's just rained or early in the morning, I've picked about 20 slugs off our 3 hydrangea plants. I have no idea why ours are so delicious!

nailslikeknives Sun 07-Feb-16 18:37:36

Doreen - we have a pretty small garden but we back on to a park. I could put a couple of shelters the park side of our fence - unless they'd attract dogs? I don't want the hedgehogs eaten!
If I put them our side, they'd attract toddlers! Though maybe I could camouflage them.

Ferguson Sun 07-Feb-16 19:46:40

We have had slugs sliding up stems of hydrangeas - maybe some hydrangeas are more tasty to them than others.

shovetheholly Mon 08-Feb-16 07:43:39

I've had slugs tear a medium-sized hydrangea to shreds (utterly killing it) - so I agree with Ferguson, it can happen! I'm on heavy clay and north-facing, and they are A Big Problem. I try to grow things that they just don't like to eat, but I'm finding that when the population reaches certain levels, they will just eat anything and everything. The worst ones for damage are not the massive ones, but the little grey ones.

Do not under any circumstance use slug pellets containing metaldehyde. They are lethal for hedgehogs. (They should be banned - they are also appalling for the health of water courses, creating pollution).

You can get a product called Nemaslug, which is a watering-on formula that contains millions of pet-friendly, wildlife-friendly microscopic parasitic worms that destroy slugs. It's safe to use on veg and it won't harm the hedgehogs.

nailslikeknives Mon 08-Feb-16 11:38:37

Nemaslug sounds brilliant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now