talk to me about sheds pleass

(9 Posts)
VegetablEsoup Wed 23-Dec-15 16:39:19

have a 'half' one (2m wide x 1.5m high x 1m deep) that's falling apart and needs to be replaced.

plastic or wood?
bigger or smaller? (needs to hold lawnmower, pots, gardening tools)

bookbook Wed 23-Dec-15 22:43:59

There is only one limit, an thats your budget smile
It always needs to be bigger than you think as well.
Helps to have a wide, or double doors to get the lawnmower in and out.
If you choose wood, try to get tannalised, it will last a lot longer.
A window is essential as well

VegetablEsoup Thu 24-Dec-15 09:57:14

am not sure about wood, current shed is rotting, it's in a location that never gets any sun.
new shed would be at the same place.

bookbook Thu 24-Dec-15 10:26:27

we have 2 sheds, both wood - one is nearly 30 years old, but apart from a small repair, and painting it with cuprinol about 3 years, its been fine. It was a good quality one. New one is 4 years old, and again spent a bit more to get it with tannelised wood.
I think with plastic sheds, you have more chance of getting condensation forming on the inside, but I may be wrong!

bookbook Thu 24-Dec-15 10:28:25

I should add, they are both on good bases- levelled carefully, flag stones, then 3x3 treated wood joists, to keep them off the ground, and allow some air flow

TheNoodlesIncident Sun 10-Jan-16 22:52:03

Have you replaced it yet?

We replaced a rotten small shed last year with a home office for DH and a proper shed for me, big enough for all the garden tools, lawnmower, DS's go-kart, etc. They are wooden but the wood has been pressure-treated with preservative (the pressure drives the preservative almost all the way through the wood planks) and then painted with weather-proofing paint on the outside. They are raised on wood platforms on concrete bases because the drainage in our garden is appalling.

The company that makes them pride themselves on the longevity of their products, as long as you treat them with waterproofing they should last decades. Pics show DH's finished and mine still awaiting its exterior paintwork (but inside finished).

HopeClearwater Sun 10-Jan-16 23:03:27

TheNoodles please can you recommend a decent weather prodding paint then? I have a tanalised shed which needs painting, although I'm going to have to wait a long time for it to get dry enough to paint!

TheNoodlesIncident Mon 11-Jan-16 23:52:56

Oh yes, we used Protek, they do a really good range of colours. It's supposed to last for five years between coats I think.

HopeClearwater Tue 12-Jan-16 01:16:58

Cheers TheNoodles !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now