HELP!! box caterpillar is murdering my topiary bushes!!

(9 Posts)
jeanswithatwist Wed 02-Sep-15 17:10:30

just that, nightmare. am fighting a losing battle and desperately upset :0(

shovetheholly Wed 02-Sep-15 17:41:06

Oh no! Are you in London? There has been an outbreak there and I think a lot of people are terrified of it spreading. ow awful for you.

The RHS are advising that you contact them to confirm the ID: advisory_entomology@rhs.org.uk.

I think then the organic option is nematodes, the inorganic one pyrethum. Perhaps speak to the RHS and see what they advise? I very, very rarely advise people to go in hard with insect killing products, but this may be one case where it's justified and necessary to stop the spread.

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Wed 02-Sep-15 17:44:40

I thought the best way was to mash the buggers?

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Wed 02-Sep-15 17:47:31

Well, 'where practical' anyway
Good luck, OP

jeanswithatwist Wed 02-Sep-15 19:03:52

thanks. been on the net alot the last few days inc royal horticultural society who have a whole thing about it and my bloomin' area specifically gets mentioned a few times so we are being invaded. thing is, i don't like killing them so feel upset every time i spray them, poor buggers but i love my topiary bushes more......i think it is too late to save them (the bushes...) despite spraying them with the best stuff i can find more than once. dread going in the garden as it appears worse each time and have loved my garden this summer

shovetheholly Thu 03-Sep-15 09:31:57

You poor thing! It is so upsetting when something gets torn to shreds, isn't it?

I would contact the RHS directly - it sounds as though there are real concerns about how invasive this species is and they may be able to advise. I don't know what the best option is. I hate advising the use of insecticides because they do so much wider damage, but if it's a matter of containing a population, maybe it is justified. I just don't know. sad

AncestralRhubarb Sun 06-Sep-15 08:48:29

No advice but lots of sympathy. I lost a whole box parterre to box blight. It was my pride and joy and utterly heartbreaking.

jeanswithatwist Sun 06-Sep-15 18:54:40

ancestra thanks. did you replace it or get a different plant/shrub to take its place?

AncestralRhubarb Sun 06-Sep-15 19:11:06

Um, I moved house...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now