Is my almond tree going to kill me?

(7 Posts)
Cathpot Fri 26-Jun-15 19:28:56

For the first time since I planted for their blossom three years ago , my almond trees are producing almonds. Much excitement and off I go to google what you do with a real life on-the-tree almond. Turns out there are two types- the sweet almond which is delicious and benign and the bitter almond which is evil and has cyanide in and will kill you. I have a vague memory that the nursery man said they were sweet almond but I would like to check and I can't find anywhere a guide to telling them apart. Any thoughts??

lljkk Fri 26-Jun-15 19:38:39

Can you contact the nursery & ask if they ever sold bitter almond trees? I bet not.

From what I read online the bitter ones taste awful, not easy to poison yourself with them.

Cathpot Fri 26-Jun-15 20:25:50

It was his closing down sale after nasty divorce so no idea where he is now. I am sure you are right, and I have some vague memory of them being the non evil kind but I just thought checking would be good! I don't actually like almonds all that much ( I just got carried away with the excitement that they were home grown ) so it seemed a gamble for something I am a bit meh about.

lljkk Fri 26-Jun-15 21:40:52

Sale Banned in UK in 2002 says this.

lljkk Fri 26-Jun-15 21:42:02

Many counties run public labs which are surprisingly cheap to access; phone the council and ask if you can send a sample to a county lab, probably worth it for piece of mind.

Or maybe someone in a University lab could test them for you.

Cathpot Sat 27-Jun-15 13:05:18

Thank you very much for ferreting out that link- flowers were white, I think I'm safe!

bowsaw Mon 29-Jun-15 16:52:22

both types contain cyanide, and even the pip of a humble apple is a above background level dose of the stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now