Alchemilla scroting morris: Do I have to kill it with fire?

(18 Posts)
gooseflannel Thu 11-Jun-15 12:57:12

What an absolute bastard of a plant this is in my garden. It has reseeded itself everywhere and is quite frankly <insert extreme and flamboyant blasphemy> quite arduous to dig up.

Can I just, I dunno, flame thrower it to death?

maryso Thu 11-Jun-15 13:07:40

This reminds me of our now retired gardener who could make anything grow, but whenever something was introduced that didn't meet his approval, it miraculously failed to thrive, including an edging of alchemilla mollis plants. I think they were all mowed or somehow beheaded repeatedly until they disappeared. Possibly timed so no seed could be spread.

gooseflannel Thu 11-Jun-15 13:10:34

So destroy with lawnmower then maryso?

maryso Thu 11-Jun-15 13:20:37

I suspect anything that chops it down, before it sets seed, will cut off the food supply to the roots, until they give up. It may take many goes, though. Tis a patient job, gardening.

DayLillie Thu 11-Jun-15 13:25:45

I can't get the stuff to grow in my garden. It is too dry sad

shovetheholly Thu 11-Jun-15 14:26:47

Awwww, poor alchemilla! I love it! But it can be rampant if you have a lot of spare earth - there is a patch of my allotment that is pure alchemilla. So perhaps the most enjoyable way of dealing with it is simply to fill your borders with more plants!

With the existing stuff, dig it up before it sets seed. And to do so repeatedly - it will eventually be whipped into order! Also, weed out the seedlings before they establish. They are quite easy to identify with their little furled fans.

gooseflannel Thu 11-Jun-15 16:21:59

Have just hacked away at a load of the hateful stuff. Will go back to dig it out when I am feeling strong and angry.

bilbodog Sat 27-Jun-15 15:12:56

I love it in flower arrangements specially with old english roses. I let it seed everywhere and just dig up when small where I don't want it.

Merguez Sat 27-Jun-15 15:40:52

I have just bought some at the garden centre grin Must be the only person round here who does not already have it rampaging through the garden. I am hoping it will outwit the couch grass.

PurpleWithRed Sat 27-Jun-15 15:44:20

how can you be so cruel! it's beautiful! and generous!

TheCrowFromBelow Sat 27-Jun-15 15:54:14

I like it. But I am a rubbish gardener. I am also very fond of my wild geranium maculatum.

I am less fond of the invasive shrub with yellow flowers that become dark brown berries and smells like bitter coffee.

Can anyone tell me what it is and how to get rid of it?

TinklyLittleLaugh Sat 27-Jun-15 17:14:52

My garden is full of thugs; alchemilla is not nearly the worst offender. It has to battle it out with bronze fennel, various aquilegia, mint and an annoying little pink geranium. I spend most of my gardening time removing unwanted plants; I have no bare earth and the weeds on't really stand a chance.

IvyWall Sat 27-Jun-15 17:26:46

TheCrow might it be hypericum calycinum ?

www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/404.shtml

GoStraightGoStraight Sat 27-Jun-15 17:36:49

I love Alchemilla Mollis! One of the best things about is the ease with which it self seeds and appears in cracks in paving and steps etc. I don't understand why you would not be happy about this. confused

TheCrowFromBelow Sat 27-Jun-15 17:53:10

Ivy yes that's it! thank you!
It has got everywhere, it's coming up between the brickwork and has taken over the front bed.

I shall start another thread .. sorry OP!

MyNightWithMaud Sat 27-Jun-15 23:24:58

I too love alchemilla mollis. This thread has shocked me to the very core, I tell you.

PlainHunting Sun 28-Jun-15 12:33:25

Drives me nuts. I have taken out bag fulls of the stuff recently. Selfs seeds everywhere then grows like crazy and swamps other plants.

I allow it to stay in one area of the garden but still have to hack it back every week or two.

TinklyLittleLaugh Mon 29-Jun-15 15:24:11

Hmm, I loved alchemilla when my garden was young and needed filling up. Now it's like a jungle, not so much. I like it okay up until about mid July, when it loses that zingy liminess and is a bit sad and yellow. My garden is overdue an alchemilla purge though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now