What is this plant and what is wrong with it?

(9 Posts)
PlainHunting Sat 30-May-15 17:09:42

It is evergreen and has small inconsequential pink flowers in early spring.
Woody stems.
About 6 metres wide and 4 metres tall.

Looked fine a week or so ago. Now looks awful. Brown blotches on all the new leaves, holes in many of the older ones.
Found some bindweed at the base. Would this alone have done all the damage?

Is there any hope for it? It's not a particularly attractive plant but it would leave a huge gap if I had to remove it!

shovetheholly Sat 30-May-15 17:58:10

That looks a bit like a viburnum tinus. And it is definitely some kind of pest munching it - I would guess an infestation of viburnum beetles.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/gardening/2388702-Viburnum-beetle

PlainHunting Sat 30-May-15 18:14:02

You are absolutely right on both fronts. Thank you so much! flowers

Off to google ways to kill Viburnum beetle ASAP ....

MyNightWithMaud Sun 31-May-15 04:29:58

My viburnum tinus gets munched by beetles. I try not to use garden chemicals, so just pick off the affected leaves and put them in the council green waste (for composting at higher temperatures). The plant seems still to thrive.

ItsRainingInBaltimore Sun 31-May-15 05:20:35

It's a very common problem with Viburnums - a real pain in the backside. I have loads of them in various houses and they've all suffered from this. It just makes me want to rip them out to be honest.

PlainHunting Sun 31-May-15 09:41:00

The problem is that almost all the leaves are affected. It really looks awful. And my garden is open to the public in a couple of weeks!

I sprayed yesterday but can't do anything again for a few days because of rain so will have to take a view on it mid week.

MyNightWithMaud Sun 31-May-15 09:48:30

Ooh, are you opening for the NGS?

PlainHunting Sun 31-May-15 10:17:15

Not quite - a village open gardens event. I've been talked in to doing the NGS next year!

MyNightWithMaud Sun 31-May-15 10:22:05

The NGS is the goal towards which I strive. Well done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now