Tree removal, anyone had it done and General cost?

(19 Posts)
Buglife Sun 17-May-15 20:06:45

I have moved into a house with a 30-40 foot Eucalyptus tree at the very bottom of the garden. I'm aware that they can grow pretty fast and had thought we might want to get rid at some point in the future. Today the neighbour over the other side mentioned that in the last couple of years trunk was beginning to crush her shed and that it blocked a lot of her gardens light. It has made me think we should get it removed now rather than wait. Has anyone had this done and what is a ballpark cost for it? I assume it's not protected due to not being a native species. The trunk is almost entirely on my land and a sliver on my neighbours who wants it gone anyways so I assume I don't have to inform anyone in chopping it down? I'm bew to all this, previous renter!

Outwith Sun 17-May-15 20:10:10

We were quoted ~£450 for removal of a great big tree by 3 different companies - this included stump grinding.

echt Sun 17-May-15 21:27:11

Although the eucalyptus is non-native, that doesn't mean it's not protected. Check with your council.

Woopsiedaisy Sun 17-May-15 21:29:43

I have had two massive conifers removed at seperate times.

Each time I paid £150 - £200 + £60 for the Stump Grinder

FraterculaArctica Sun 17-May-15 21:38:39

I just paid £480 inclusive to have a large silver birch felled, including stump grinding, and crown reduction on a walnut. This is Home Counties.

Protection is likely to depend on whether you're in a Conservation Area. A decent tree surgeon who knows the area should know whether it needs a planning application.

oldbrownboot Sun 17-May-15 22:03:32

My partner (a tree surgeon) says he'd do this type of job for £200 - £300.

The precise cost depends on access, difficulty of the job, and what will happen with the wood. If you have to go through your house to get to the garden, there are power cables or something else (e.g. greenhouse) in the way of felling it, and every scrap of wood needs to be taken away (including grinding the stump out) then it will be at the more expensive end of the spectrum.

You can phone the council (arb officer) to see if it has a TPO on it. reasons for this can vary (e.g. new build houses near established trees often mean the trees are protected as a condition of permission to build the houses). Living in a conservation area is different to TPO (but the same person in the council would know) - in a conservation area (e.g. centre of an old town) anything that is more than waist high with trunk thicker than your wrist will probably need permission before cutting down; but it is usually granted if there are good reasons for it. A tree surgeon could phone the council for you to investigate - they will be used to doing this, and would already have an idea about whether you're in a conservation area anyway.

Phone around for quotes and be nice to whoever comes round - my partner always gives good quotes to people he likes!!!

Buglife Mon 18-May-15 05:37:57

Thanks so much! I'll check with the Council. It's a Victorian house and all the gardens seem to have at least one massive tree and they are all starting to crush through fences and hang over neighbours gardens, and are all far far too big for town house gardens really. It would probably require some delicate removal due to a couple of sheds although the neighbour said she was planning to remove her slightly squashed shed anyway.

Bumpinthenight Mon 18-May-15 06:21:54

If you have just moved and still have access to the deeds I would check them for a TPO. Our neighbour checked with the council and there wasn't a TPO on their tree. There is now.

We have just had 11 trees and stumps removed for £700.

shovetheholly Mon 18-May-15 08:51:24

Just wanted to say what a lovely neighbour you are to take the wishes of those around you into such consideration. And that, if there isn't a TPO in place, it's better and cheaper to get rid of it now rather than wait. So many people around me have trees that are frankly ridiculously oversized for suburban gardens (think Leylandii that are higher than a house and take up literally 3/4 of the garden in width), and most of them want them removed but now cannot afford the £200-300 cost. Had they dealt with it earlier, they'd have saved a wad of cash, and gained a lot of light.

cherrytree63 Mon 18-May-15 08:55:38

My partner is a tree surgeon/feller, and would charge around £300 for this including stump grinding and removing the wood.

Buglife Mon 18-May-15 10:04:02

Thanks everyone! I'm hoping maybe I'll start a trend and next door with the two ludicrous pine trees might have a thought to removal! It's loads of Victorian gardens all backing onto each other in a grid pattern so it's all got a bit muddled with bits of fence and trees everywhere, so you've got to work together really. I know I'd hate to have a neighbours trees ruining my garden (my other neighbours giant shrubs are annoying me, but when I said hello he was an elderly man who said he didn't garden much so maybe he'd welcome me getting a few feet cut off the top?!)

PrimalLass Mon 18-May-15 10:09:20

They grow super-fast. My DP just climbed up and cut the top branches off one-by-one. We have two that are now pollarded and much more manageable.

www.oakleafgardening.com/how-to/prune-plants/pollarding-and-coppicing/

AlternativeTentacles Mon 18-May-15 10:09:29

If you are in Nottingham I know someone who would do it for alot less. If so, please message me privately and I'll put you in contact.

Buglife Mon 18-May-15 10:14:09

It's the tree right at the back. It's so far away from our house but getting rid will open up the garden as well as helping the poor neighbour out with some light!

Buglife Mon 18-May-15 10:15:03

Not in Nottingham Alternative but thank you! In Essex.

evertonmint Mon 18-May-15 10:19:24

We had a massive eucalyptus removed for about £400 recently. They're horrible straggly things and grow like crazy. So glad it's gone, and we have so much more light now.

Buglife Mon 18-May-15 13:00:51

My friend at the Council just checked, no preservation order. 'Chop the bastard down' was his advice grin

funnyperson Fri 22-May-15 19:26:25

You might want to keep some of the wood for stepping stones etc

NorahDentressangle Sat 23-May-15 08:32:09

Yes, get rid it will end up huge. Then you've got space for something nice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now