Is this a weed? Should I pull it out or let it stay?

(16 Posts)
Lucylookout Sun 13-Apr-14 13:23:28

It's popping up all over my garden but I have no idea what it is. The leaves and the stems are slightly furry. No prickles or thorns anywhere.

if you dont want it in your garden then its a weed

Japanese anemone. I've got two clumps that grow quite tall and have pretty pale pink flowers (from early summer iirc).

Lucylookout Sun 13-Apr-14 13:44:14

Thanks both,
Ilph - it all depends on what it does next as to how much/whether I want to keep it (but agree that some 'weeds' are actually quite pretty and I don't mind them being in the garden).
Thanks LSHB - I'll google it and see what I think!

I think they look a bit like some of the hogweed leaves too

FunkyBoldRibena Sun 13-Apr-14 14:11:01

Japanese Anemones shouldn't do anything next until around Autumn time when you get either pink or white flowers. A beautiful plant. It propagates by root not by seed. If you don't like it, advertise on freecycle - someone will want it as it's quite expensive to buy - esp if the flowers are white.

Pannacotta Sun 13-Apr-14 15:37:38

Japanese anemones, flower in white or pink.
If you have too much can you replant it in any gaps?
If not then do give it away as suggested, rather than bunging it on compost/in green waste bin etc

bigTillyMint Sun 13-Apr-14 15:40:21

The flowers are pretty but it spreads like mad!

Lucylookout Sun 13-Apr-14 16:30:33

Yes, thanks have remembered now I did have those pink flowers last summer that I hadn't planted but were pretty. I have a shady part in the garden, so I might try to replant some there and yes, already have a few takers for any other plants I dig up.
Thanks again!

Lucylookout Sun 13-Apr-14 17:17:46

Also, does anyone know what the plant in the background on the third photo is? It's a pretty leaf but does it flower?
I have quite new beds that I've planted a bit in, but they need quite a lot of filling still, so am quite pleased with any nice unasked for additions.

FunkyBoldRibena Sun 13-Apr-14 17:20:01

Aqualegia. Yes it flowers. Then sets seed everywhere.

CuttedUpPear Sun 13-Apr-14 17:23:36

If you think you have too many Japanese anemones, pot some up and -give them to me-- sell them.
They do not spread so much to be a nuisance, I would treasure them if I were you.

Lucylookout Sun 13-Apr-14 22:46:40

Thank you knowledgable mumsnet gardeners smile

Ferguson Sun 13-Apr-14 23:39:55

Aquilegia can come in a lovely range of pretty colours. In my experience though, when they self-seed they tend to revert to a 'wild' variety, and many come out blue or purple.

I think they possibly like shady areas, as that is where our better ones appear, and some are white. If you are fortunate enough to have nice colour ones come up, keep those but get rid of blue/purple ones, or else they will all be blue/purple in a couple of years time.

Bearleigh Mon 14-Apr-14 07:37:05

What Ferguson said. I have just thrown out a load of blue ones.

LushAndVerdant Mon 14-Apr-14 08:50:07

Yes, Japanese anemone and aquilegia. I love them both (but I do pull out aquilegia seedlings if they are dirty pink, as many of mine seem to be).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now