Is it too late to prune my currant bushes?

(5 Posts)
maniacbug Fri 24-Jan-14 10:24:23

Been snowed under with work and put off by the weather so not been as attentive to my fruit cage as I should have been. Is it totally the wrong time to prune black and red currants or can I risk it? They are massive, and we had a huge crop last year so don't want to do anything to jeopardise this year's. There are lots of new buds.
Also should I be putting anything on them, like ash or manure? (I had a look online but there's so much conflicting advice that I came over all flustered.)
TIA

steppemum Fri 24-Jan-14 10:25:55

from what I remember red and black currants are not the same and need pruning at different times.

(helpful as I haven't done mine, and don't know when the time is....0

Rhubarbgarden Fri 24-Jan-14 13:06:28

Perfect time of year to prune them.

Blackcurrants

Redcurrants

ouryve Fri 24-Jan-14 13:08:51

Blackcurrants are pretty tough and can be pruned any time when they're dormant and not come to any harm.

maniacbug Fri 24-Jan-14 13:58:24

Thank you! We inherited them with the house 3 years ago and I have been randomly pruning whenever the fancy took me. I knew one grew on new wood and one on old, but could never remember which was which so just pruned them the same. Reassured to learn that they're quite hardy + forgiving! Might make it my mission for tomorrow, whatever the weather...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now