how high can screening between gardens be?

(12 Posts)
carlajean Wed 22-Jan-14 22:17:07

We're buying a house that is overlooked from behind, and would like to put up a screen made of 2 poles with tensioning wires running horizontally between them and growing something like clematis across. Can anyone let me know if there might be problems associated with this? We're thinking of something about 2 or 3 metres high.

Should be fine as long as it isn't an evergreen variety. Have you considered pleached deciduous trees with a low (1.8m and below) evergreen hedge?

carlajean Thu 23-Jan-14 08:02:36

I would, but the garden is a concrete roof over parking spaces.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 23-Jan-14 18:17:51

When I had a quote for a new fence, I was advised that the maximum permitted height for a fence is 6 feet, including any trellis on top. That said, a fence taller than that only becomes a problem if neighbours object - in which case, they are within their rights to insist on the fence being lowered.

That's why I suggested deciduous plea he'd trees or a non-evergreen clematis, as the high hedges rules only apply to evergreens.

Pleached. Autocorrect!

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 23-Jan-14 18:52:20

Yes, and I only mentioned fencing because a living screen had been ruled out.

Eh? Who ruled it out? confused

Living is fine as long as it is not evergreen. Clematis does have many deciduous versions.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 23-Jan-14 22:05:18

Forgive me if I have misunderstood. I thought trees had been ruled out because of the challenges of the planting position.

I hope op can find s

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 23-Jan-14 22:05:46

... Something that works for her and her garden.

carlajean Thu 23-Jan-14 22:28:32

Thanks for all the advice. We revisited the house today and saw that a neighbor had put foot-high metal poles at each end of the wall, on top, with tensioned wires between, and grown an evergreen clematis along, which did the trick.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Thu 23-Jan-14 22:40:20

Great minds clearly think alike! Glad the problem has been solved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now